Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DD scores again ... #10

Old 01-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default DD scores again ... #10

I will not be posting a picture of this buck simply because it is not a "trophy" and I do not want to be reported to the "trophy police" on here but I will tell the story and you can take it for what its worth. I went to a small piece of property about 20 min from my home here in north Alabama. I really was not planning on hunting but really just wanted to scout a little to see if there was any rut sign...all I wore was some jeans, boots and my orange as it was pretty warm today...really did not see much other then a few small scrapes ...as I was walking out about 3.00 I decided to set ina lock on we had next to a field road that runs next to a creek ..the stand is about 45 yards inside the woods through some pines which meet hard woods...I pulled my backpack off and set it next to the road and walked in.. I had set for about an hour and a halfwhen I saw a deer running up a fence line about 100 yards away through some thick woods ... I grunted a couple of times and then just listened ..I heard a deer jump a fence and I could hear him coming towards me ...I could see flashes of him walk at an angle in my direction ...at about 65 yards I raised my muzzleloader ..found him in the scope and fired ..with all the smoke I was not sure I had hit him at first but I heard him run through the pines towards the road I had walked in on and thought I heard him pile up ...I was loosing light so I got down and tried to find where he had been standing when I shot ... I found some blood and started to trail ...as some of you guys know from some of my post I do not see well anymore and was having trouble with the fadding light finding blood ...but I was sure I had heard him fall ...after about 20 min and getting a little flusterd becasue I could not see well I decided to walk out to the field road to see if maybe he had made it to the creek ...I look to my left and there he laid not 3 ft from my backpack right in the middle of the roadLOL ...well I loaded him up and hes hangging now ... I have an old black man who has asked for my next deer so he will be getting some fine meat ... thats 10 for the year .. 6 bucks 4 does ..

dd
Old 01-09-2006, 05:28 PM

Default RE: DD scores again ... #10

and you're allowed to take how many in alabama? sounds like they want them exterminated
Old 01-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

LOL J.H. ....7 of these were taken in southern Tennessee ..I live only 25 miles from the state line ...but to answere your question we can take a buck everyday of the season ... from around Nov. 15th until Jan 31 ...

dd

Old 01-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats DD,
but if you don't mind me asking, if your areas are so full of deer and you don't need all the meat why don't you take up archery and give yourself a bit of a challenge. I wouldn't be nearly as hardcore about hunting as I am if it was as easy as you make it sound.
Where Ilive its 1 tag per year/hunter (except for a few archery only areas where we can buy additional), and I still prefer to be out with the bow. If its your health try out a x-bow.
Not bashing you at all, congrats again, I'm just curious.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

LOL J.H. ....7 of these were taken in southern Tennessee ..I live only 25 miles from the state line ...but to answere your question we can take a buck everyday of the season ... from around Nov. 15th until Jan 31 ...

dd

Congrats DD on your 10th deer this year!. That's onething I love about being stationed inAlabama, we can kill 2 deer (buck and a doe)a day here in Autuaga.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!! I'm glad you're having fun!!
Old 01-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: tschaef

Congrats DD,
but if you don't mind me asking, if your areas are so full of deer and you don't need all the meat why don't you take up archery and give yourself a bit of a challenge. I wouldn't be nearly as hardcore about hunting as I am if it was as easy as you make it sound.
Where Ilive its 1 tag per year/hunter (except for a few archery only areas where we can buy additional), and I still prefer to be out with the bow. If its your health try out a x-bow.
Not bashing you at all, congrats again, I'm just curious.
T.S. I am 54 years old and bow hunted since 1973 ..almost 33 years ... I just can't see well enough up close anymore to be able to focus on the pin and the deer at the same time and have no interest in just wounding an animal ... I did buy a crossbow this year and will use it next year after I have had some time to practice ... I used a M/L today instead of a rifle even though it is not M/L season (all weapons season)... its really not THAT easy but I have had a good year .. I am lucky to hunt in an area that has a lot of deer but not a lot of "trophy" deer ...we hunt very small tracks of land here in Alabama so its very hard to try and manage deer ...

dd

dd
Old 01-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on another successful hunt DD! Nice job!
Old 01-09-2006, 06:17 PM

you lucky dog you. Share the love whats your secret. Are you gonna stop at 10 or are you gonna keep goin.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

S.F. my secret is just putting in the time ... Im lucky enough to get to hunt a good bit in a great area for deer ... as for if I am going to stop ..I have stoped shooting doe's for the year ...and I love being in the woods every chance I get ..so no I won't stop but unless I have family that need the meat I will be selective to what I harvest ...

dd

PS Thanks NY ....I think ...

Quick Reply: DD scores again ... #10

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.