Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Describe your favorite stand site.... >

Describe your favorite stand site....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Describe your favorite stand site....

Old 01-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Describe your favorite stand site....

I was just wondering what type of spots everyone considers their favorite. Also how did you find it.

Mine is a stand out at my farm. I was just sitting around the house looking at a topo map andgot an idea.Its located in the bottom of a brushy hollow. It runs from the north side of the property and swings around to the west side. At both ends are 2 major bedding areas. The hill to the NW of me is loaded with white oaks and on top of the hill is an agricultural field. To the S, SE, and SW are little brushy "fingers" that all run out within view from my stand. Alot of bucks like to bed in these fingers. In the bottom of the hollow there is about a 50 yard stretch of real nasty brush and in the middle a 15 ft. by 15 ft. grassy field. Deer LOVE this stuff.

I found this spot 2 years ago and have killed 3 deer here with a bow (All does). I can only think of once when I hunted this stand and didnt see a buck, and that was when I had been sitting there for 15 minutes one afternoon and shot one of the does. This year I had several small bucks walk by me, but all of the bigger deer seem to go to the north of me or to the east (the grassy field in the bottom).
Old 01-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Describe your favorite stand site....

WOW sounds like a spot I found yesterday. I have not used it yet. It was an intersection of wet tracks in the middle of a swamp. Then there is a clearing at the crossroads with some big oaks and a grassy spot about 15' by 15'. I was going to go today being the last day but I'm sick as a dog.
Chuck
Old 01-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well sounds like you have a great spot for next year. Good luck with it.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks ..........I have a nice oak tree picked out for my stand and I also thought I need to make my own trail getting to that tree. I don't want to get to my stand by walking up the deer trail. The deer trail is so used it almost looks like a people trail.
C7
Old 01-08-2006, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite hunting spot.... Boy that is a tough one. I will have to go with where I shot my buck this year.

While fishing the lake I love on one afternoon. (Mind you this is a private lake with 2 houses on it andonly 2private lands surronding it.) I thought I saw some animals running in the brush. I never thought about it and kept on fishing. I made my way to all my favorite spots of the lakes and went through a channel that kind of backs this property. I almost thought the trail that went through there was from beavers! So, I began fishing the other lake. This lake is on the opposite side of where I thought I seen the animals the first time. While fishing the other side, I notice a little rack walking along the edge of the lake. All of a sudden, the spike horn jumps in the water? As to cool of or what, I still am not sure?
Anyway, I was so excited I went right home. ( I was 9 years old and I seen a spike ) So a year passed, and IL decided to ask the man and women if I may hunt the property. They were very nice, but said under one condition. If I help him roof his house. Well, I became a professional roofer, and it helped me harvest the best deer of my life!

Sorry for the long story... I got a little to into it..
Old 01-08-2006, 07:37 AM

I have an inside corner that I just love! Deer really cut this corner a lot. They sometimes fool me, though, and cut the corner of the field not offering me a shot since I am in the woods. I would say that any inside corner is my favorite spot to set up.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

any stand I shoot a buck out of. I got two favorite stands. One is for bow and one is for gun season. The bow one isn`t really and good since it floods there during gun so the deer move south towards my other stand.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

.[align=center][/align]
Old 01-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah--- You're right on... Field corners just inside the woods are one of the very first places I check out. If I'm going to find any rubs around real quick, these places are generally where I'll find them. If they are present, then I'll expand my investgating, looking for more sign.
Old 01-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Haha I have a funny story about hunting field corners.

This was the first year that my brother-in-law got shotgun tags. He used to bowhunt occasionaly but hadn't for quite a few years. So a few weeks before we took him out and showed him around and pointed some spots out that no one was hunting. Well he chose a corner of a field and backed in the woods about 15 yards.

No one ever hunted here before, so we told him we would show him what we thought was a "good" spot that he would see alot of deer. Well as it usually happens he goes to the field corner for his FIRST ever shotgun hunt and kills a 140 inch 9 pointer 15 minutes ino it. BTW he never saw a deer from his blind that we adviced him to go too.

Quick Reply: Describe your favorite stand site....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.