Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fishy Story!

Old 01-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Fishy Story!

Being that we've had lots of discussions lately on poaching, ethics, and laws, I thought of a story that happened to me a couple of years ago, that shows how things CAN happen to honest, legal, sportsmen!
First, I'd like to say that I AM NOT trying to question ANYONES honesty, or abilities! Its just that words like, "always," and "never," just send up warning flags to me, and as I've said many times, "POACHER," is NOT a word to throw around lightly!
Anyways, heres the story:
(For whatever reason, there are many moreGame Wardens on the water in my area, than in the woods!)
A friend of mine from Arkansas, was down here fishing with me. Fishing was slow, and I had caught the only fish of the day, a Red Fish!
Two Game Wardens came by, they asked what we had caught. I pulled out the Red Fish, and laid it across my ice chest, that had a molded-in ruler on it. Seeing that it was LEGAL, the Wardens wished us luck, and drove off.
A while later, we moved to another spot, and started fishing again. Soon after we dropped anchor, another Warden came up to our boat! He asked what we had, and I told him, one Red Fish! He did not ask to see it, but asked about what another couple of boats near by, had been catching. I told him that we had just dropped anchor, and hadn't seen the others catch anything. I also told him that we had seen two other Wardens in another cove, up river.
He said good-bye, and went to check the other boats. Soon, he started back in our direction! I told my partner, "he's comming back to check our fish." Sure enough, he asks to see my fish! Again, I pulled it out, and he measured the Red on his ruler! His ruler showed that the fish was 1/4 inch too short!
I told him, "the other Wardens had measured the fish on my ice chest ruler!" He smiled, and said " don't use an ice chest ruler to measure fish by, it can get you into trouble!"
With that, he gave me the fish back, told us good-bye, and drove away! He did not give me a ticket!
Now, did I break the law? By strict, legalism, YES!
Did I do it intentionally? NO!
Was it the same as gill-netting a boat load of illegal fish? NO!
The whole point of my "fishy story," is that with so many fishing, and hunting laws, its not as hard to break a law, and not even know it!
So, maybe we should give each other, a little "benefit of the doubt!" We can ALL learn things, share, and have funon this site!
Maybe you have "never" broken a game law!
Maybe you don't even know that you have ever broken a gamelaw!
Maybe you are aformer poacher, thats grown-up, and learned its better to be legal!
Maybe, you are even a poacher, that will learn to be legal, because of Huntingnet!
I know that if we all treat this site as a "friendly hunting camp," we will all learn more, have more fun, and better promotesport hunting, than if we treat this place as a "hostile environment!"
Sorry for the long post, good luck, and good night to all!
Old 01-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Fishy Story!

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

He smiled, and said " don't use an ice chest ruler to measure fish by, it can get you into trouble!"
With that, he gave me the fish back, told us good-bye, and drove away! He did not give me a ticket!

No you did'nt, unless you knew the ice chest ruler was off measurement and kept using it.
The one who broke the law was the officer who did not cite you for breaking the law!
Old 01-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Did you catch the fish with "BAIT" on your hook? LOL just messing with you,you fish baiter. Again just kidding so don`t getmad.I agree with your post completly.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stretchhunts
Did you catch the fish with "BAIT" on your hook? LOL just messing with you,you fish baiter. Again just kidding so don`t getmad.I agree with your post completly.
Matter of fact, it was "live" bait, not artificial!
Alast, I must admit, last year I discovered jigs, for White Perch! I won't be drowning shiners anymore!
Seriously, I'm nottrivalizing any laws! Its just not the same as intentionally going out to break laws!I am alsoa firm believer in knowing laws before going into the field, but I doubt that law experts know them all!
Old 01-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog
No you did'nt, unless you knew the ice chest ruler was off measurement and kept using it.
The one who broke the law was the officer who did not cite you for breaking the law!
Reb, no, I did not know before hand that the ice chest ruler was off! I didn't usually go around measuring my rulers!
But I do now!!!!

The ice chest ruler WAS wrong! But who's to say the Warden's ruler was right!!!!???
You can bet your sweet per-tooty,the Warden's rulerWAS RIGHT!
After all, he'shas the badge!
Old 01-07-2006, 07:41 PM

That live bait has feelings tooj/k
Old 01-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

ORIGINAL: stretchhunts
Matter of fact, it was "live" bait, not artificial!
Alast, I must admit, last year I discovered jigs, for White Perch! I won't be drowning shiners anymore!
Seriously, I'm nottrivalizing any laws! Its just not the same as intentionally going out to break laws!I am alsoa firm believer in knowing laws before going into the field, but I doubt that law experts know them all!

Again I agree. I`m suresome hunters on here don`t know every LAW. I`m sure I don`t.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Damn, all I can think about right now is a nice black pot of redfish courtbouillon.

Count yourself lucky. One of my cousins (who doesn't even hunt) was once forced to unload a wagon full of firewood by a game warden who thought that he might have a poached deer hidden under it.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Damn, all I can think about right now is a nice black pot of redfish courtbouillon.

Count yourself lucky. One of my cousins (who doesn't even hunt) was once forced to unload a wagon full of firewood by a game warden who thought that he might have a poached deer hidden under it.

LMFAO now that sucks
Old 01-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Quick Reply: Fishy Story!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.