Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

favorite camo patterns??

Old 10-16-2002, 06:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-17-2002, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: favorite camo patterns??

I use Advantage Timber, it works for me!!!

Old 10-17-2002, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

During mild weather I'll wear a 3D leafy suit in Advantage
camo. When the weather turns colder and the leaves drop...
nothing but Predator Fall Grey.

Old 10-17-2002, 09:56 AM

Mossy Oak is the only pattern I use due to this one fact. It has alot of black and darker shades in it. I was sold on Advantage and RealTree until a wise old man who taught me just about everything I know about hunting had me do this little experiment that I encourage you to try.

1.--On a bright, sunny day, take a Mossy Oak article of clothing,(hat, shirt, jacket, ect.) and the same article of clothing, in the brand of camo you use, and set both up at equal distance in the timber, on a tree, and step back 40-50 yards away. Make sure you have a clear view of both items.
You will find that both types of camo work equally well, and are suitable to use.

2.--Now, on a cloudy overcast day, take the same 2 articles of camo, and perform the same test.
You will find that the Mossy Oak will be a better match to the surroundings due to the fact of the darker colors in the camo pattern. When you have a camo pattern that has tan, or brown as a backround in the printed pattern, these colors do not fade with the weather conditions to match the surroundings. And some, almost stand out like a sore thumb.

It sounds like a crazy idea, but give it a try, and give me an honest opinion afterwards. I think you will see what I mean. It changed my mind, I think it might change yours.
Old 10-17-2002, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bull, all I use is layers when I hunt. It can be warm as snot or cold enough to freeze snot during bow/ml season (in fact we got a nice little blanket of snow on the ground from a mini storm today...damn wish i could be out!) During regular rifle/gun season can't where camo of any type, just solid high vis. colours which is typically the cold season as well. Predator offer insulated garments, I think 200 gram of thinsulate. I use the brushed cotton 6 pocket pant and bow hunter jacket large enough to layer up but not be real bulky. I like fleece for undergarments, they are warm, dry and quite. The brushed cotton is real quite as well, but they offer amozon and saddlecloth as well. Just check out the website, they also have a bargain room with some good priced items.

Richie, to your comments. I decided to move from some other well known brands to predator fall grey. A number of buddies thought it would look stuck out, do to its white base, did exactly what you suggested....now I don't know anybody I hunt with that doesn't use predator. In a tree when the leaves are down fall grey here is nothing short of deadly, but I do most of my hunting on the ground and it works very well in all terrains I encounter. A quick example, last saturday I had a Bull and cow moose literally feet (not yards) away from me in a field I was backed into willows right on the edge, later I shot a doe who walked right out on the trail no more than 10 yards away...camo any good? Again I think the key is break up the outline (as does predator), many feel blend in is better. While I like Mossy Oak, it is way to dark for my woods. To use an old fly fishing term; "the key is to match the hatch". Which is what I look for in camo, not ads, endorsements, hunting shows or the spot the number of hunters trick. I think it is generally made for certain more popular if you will areas and works well by that design...however change the layout and it isn't as successful.

I guess in summary, you need to look at camo in your respective area and make a decision that works the best. You can't go on what I or other say, cause it just ain't that simple.

good Luck and tag a buck!

Old 10-17-2002, 05:10 PM

I use predator whenever I am not in a ghillie suit. Its the best 2d pattern in fall grey you can find. Skeeter is right. Its main problem selling wise is its not pretty or stylish. People are afraid of it because its so light in the background. However this makes sure you get a good breakout or contrast. Predator has a good "informal study" on their website.

The best thing I have found is a homemade ghillie suit. It breaks you up in 3d better than anything and is what people use(when they are hunting others and others are hunting them) when engaged in the sniper profession.

"Size may not matter but it sho IS nice!" [/quote]
Old 10-17-2002, 05:52 PM

in response to richie's post: thats exactly the reason i dont like mossy oak. the unnatural shadows. in the part of texas i hunt, there arent many massive trees to sit in that give lots of shadows, so it doesnt seem to blend in well to me. i was looking at my friend while he was sitting in a treestand and i was on the ground about 100 yds away, and he stood out a lot. i think if the camo matches the tree, then the shadows that fall on it will be more natural. anyone agree?
Old 10-17-2002, 07:31 PM

Ok here are some pictures from my trips to South Africa over the past 2 years. I don't have any of me in Ohio.
First Fall Grey in bright sunlight. Fall Brown would be better
http://amosgreg.home.netcom.com/gfx2/Guinea1.jpg

Second the same pattern in a overcast sky, Much better
http://amosgreg.home.netcom.com/gfx2/greg&snake.jpg

(for descriptions of the pictures see http://amosgreg.home.netcom.com/GregHunt2.htm)

Third Fall Brown as I break an improvised blind down
http://amosgreg.home.netcom.com/amos2/HastyHide.jpg

Spring Green in the open. I had been in a pit blind which is why I was wearing this pattern.
http://amosgreg.home.netcom.com/amos1/gregzebra4.jpg

(My second trip http://amosgreg.home.netcom.com/AmosAfrica.htm)

As you can see it is a GREAT all around pattern that truly breaks up the human shape.
Enjoy!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 10-17-2002, 08:38 PM

I only have experience with those "traditional Jordan" camo types and then being in the military I have a considerable amount of woodland hanging around. I don't wear the woodland because my bdu's are just too loud. Impossible to bowhunt with. Of the basic patterns, I like Realtree Hardwoods. My summit tree stand is in this pattern and I have more than once walked right by it in the early afternoons. I think this pattern is more like the other patterns mentioned above. It is neutral like natural gear, predator and the like. JMHO.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I REALLY like the Advantage Timber HD stuff. It looks very good in the field.

http://www.powerandfury.net/j02deer.html (jacket)

The Predator is also a VERY good pattern. I like the Predator patterns more in the open and/or sage brush type areas while in timber the Advantage HD seems to work very well.

The next on my list is just plain Advantage. I used it out coyote hunting and sitting between 2 sagebrush my buddy said he could hardly see me at 10 feet.

Most important is to be perfectly still as deer and elk don't see colors like we do, more shades of yellow and blues. As long as you're still when they look at you I've had deer stare me down standing right in front of them in blaze orange and finally, if I don't move a muscle, they go back to feeding and walk by me.

Quick Reply: favorite camo patterns??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.