Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Biggest mistake still hunters make? >

Biggest mistake still hunters make?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Biggest mistake still hunters make?

Old 12-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Biggest mistake still hunters make?

I've got the Leupold 10x42 Best optic I've ever own.
Chuck7
Old 12-29-2005, 07:20 PM

I was just thinking about this today while hunting a new parcel of land in Ohio. I agree with all the posts but one thing I usually do especially hunting new land is to clear a spot on the ground where trails intersect or areas along side ridges, thickets etc.

The reason? To see which direction the deer are heading or if they use the trail going in both directions. This gives me a heads up as I approch the area.

Normally I just drag my foot on the ground to clear away debris, leaves etc. Many times if I come back the same day it also helps me to place an accurate time on the tracks.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are about hunting in a stand all day I think some hunters make the mistake of not getting enough sleep the night before which either makes one fidgety(I think thats a word) and move around to much or actually just fall asleep. These new treestands they have out are mighty comfortable.
I also think not being dressed properly so one gets to cold and becomes fidgety is a prob. I know where I huntthe 1st 3 days of rifleseasonis a 1.7 mile walk from camp. I wear very little clothing on the trek and carry most of what I wear in my pack. Once I get to my stand I take a break, change my wet\sweaty clothes for nice dry stuff, anything to keep me more comfortable and less fidgety the better.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

Biggest mistake people make when still hunting is not looking around when walking. Toomany people concentrate on the ground right in front of them and only look around when they stop. Your mind should not be solely concentrating on where to place your next foot step. Silence should come from proper choice of shoes and the realization that you will never be as quiet as a deer and don't have to be. Also make sure you can shoot fast and accuratelyoff hand. If you can't then practice till you can. Just an opinion.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe one thing that makes a good hunter is, really using your eyes.A lot of hunters look for the obvious signs thatare right in front of them and forthe obviousdeer. I think that if you take time out to visually explore the area you're in, in detail, you'll be more likely to spot deer.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I gave it my best effort still hunting this gun season! The Mi gun opener was windy and wet so I gave it a serious go and I learned! I took my time, I'd take a step or two and stop, wait for the wind to kick up and then take a few more and stop! I was very successful and got within a few feet of a nice doe! Then on the same hunt I came upon 5 bull elk that had no idea I was in their world! Pretty cool!

I would have to say for me my biggest mistake was that I was moving to fast! Good luck!
Old 12-29-2005, 11:31 PM

Could be wrong but still hunting is "sitting still" right? and what you guys are talking about is "spot and stalk" correct? At least thats what this web site said in its deer hunting techniques page. never stalked myself only still/stand hunted.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes I would call this stalking as well. However..I just read some excellent advice. Great thread Jimmy S. This thread has changed my style of hunting. Yes ..I will still sit in my Summit but...I will not be in a hurry walking to and from my truck. Last year I did some of that step and wait stuff. I only wished I would of used my eyes better because all of a sudden I only got a glimpse of 2 1/2s of large deer bounding in the swamp.I only saw from their shouders back. If i would of looked better I may have gotten a buck. Again great inspiring thread.
YOu can do this Nemo
Old 12-30-2005, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

still hunting = walking slowly through the woods looking for deer (stalking)
stand hunting = sitting

Makes perfect sense [8D]
Old 12-30-2005, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hotburn, its not exactly spot and stalk, we are stalking thru the woods looking for deer,spot & stalk isseeing one andstalking to get close. Some refer to it as still hunting, when done properly its a good description because as others have saidit can take >1hr to travel 100yrds.
My biggest buck to date was taken this way, on a windy day after a rain I hunted into a point of land surrounded by ponds. 2 steps, stop look and listen, 2 steps, stop loook and listen, when my head crested a bald rock I was 20yrds from a 130" 8pt that was just getting out of bed, he wasn't alarmed and was just putting his nose in the air to check the wind when I let him have it.

Quick Reply: Biggest mistake still hunters make?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.