HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Biggest mistake still hunters make? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/126807-biggest-mistake-still-hunters-make.html)

Jimmy S 12-29-2005 12:49 PM

Biggest mistake still hunters make?

What makes you a good still hunter? Outside of moving too fast thru the woods and being detected by deer first, share with us your thought so that we may be more successful in seeing deer before they know we're there.

NY Bowhunter 12-29-2005 01:25 PM

RE: Biggest mistake still hunters make?

When you think you're going slow to the point where moss is going to start growing on you............ slow down! Always use the wind in your favor. I like to start out using some sort of elevation in my favor to improve my visibility. Scan the area you're stalking as far ahead of you as you can see before taking another step. Still hunt when the ground/leaves are wet. Always have your weapon in a somewhat ready position and don't get caught with your pants down. Use good backdrop whenever possible to not be silhouetted. And above all............... patience.

Hunter_59 12-29-2005 01:36 PM

I think the biggest mistake in stillhunting is a combination of moving too fast and not taking into account the wind direction. The ground litter can be a problem also. If you are stillhunting on dry leaves then you just as well go home and try another day. It's best to try on wet leaves or fresh snow. The rule of thumb I use is, if I hear my footsteps then the deer can too. If you are covering more than 100 yards in an hour then you're moving too fast!
I have had my greatest luck stillhunting up creek beds. I'm talking water about 2"-4" deep with a solid clay bed. You can place your foot slowly into this and not make a sound. I shot a nice 6 pt. at 4 yards one time stillhunting in this manner. I didn't sneak up on him but I placed myself in the middle of the bedding area and spotted him about 40 yards away. He turned and walked straight to the edge of the creek and I was at full draw waiting. If it wasn't for the water in the creek, I couldn't have been in this position.
It's best to still hunt on windy days also. This helps to muffle any sound. If you crack a stick, then wait 5-10 minutes before proceeding. Sometimes a deer will hear the stick crack and if you are not moving will calm down. They seem to be extra alert for that second stick crack though, so you need to be careful from there on.
Probably the most important tool in stillhunting is a pair of binoculars. I can't count how many times I have spotted something that looks like a part of a deer and through the binocs have found it to be a stick or leaf. Sometimes though, you may spot a white patch that is the inside of an ear or the under belly. I've spotted the black nose alot and the horizontal line of the back in a mostly vertical lined woods. Without the binoculars I may have blown it. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Bob H in NH 12-29-2005 01:38 PM

Two things I can think of:

- inability to actually see deer before they move. How often have you still hunted, gotten in range of deer, but not known it until they run? You need to be able to see them before they move.

- stop in the open. When you stop, stop next to a tree, does two things, lets you "blend in" and gives you something to use as a rifle rest.

If you are tracking a deer, MOVE FAST when you need to make up ground. A deer that is heading in a straight line is one you need to catch up to, going slow you won't catch up. When the track starts to wander, SLOW DOWN

Chuck7 12-29-2005 02:15 PM

From reading all teh replies I always called this technique stalking. I would call still hunting sitting in a climber. Many of these comments are great. I once read the following , tried it and walked up on some whire tails. It goes with what NY Hunter said. I read tha tyou take 5 steps quietly and wait 1 minute befor etaking another. As a kid I tried that and walked up on some deer. I followed where they ran. Built a stand and shot my first deer. Last year in the middle of the day I tried it in a WMA . I walked up on a bunch of hogs. It does take a lot of time though. Maybe after i get out of my stand tomorrow I'll try it again. Takes along time though.;)
I always thought this was stalking.
Chuck7

tschaef 12-29-2005 02:17 PM

Look around 360 degrees after each step, not just ahead.

Windwalker7 12-29-2005 03:19 PM

When still hunting in crunchy leaves you are going to make noise. Camoflage this noise by making your foot drag through the leaves. Tap your toes a little as you drag. In other words, make your steps sound like a squirrel or chipmunk. Don't make the tell tale sounds of a bi-pedal human walking in leaves. Deer know this sound means danger.

Rebel Hog 12-29-2005 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

I think the biggest mistake in stillhunting is a combination of moving too fast and not taking into account the wind direction.

Yep I agree, The only one's who walk in a steady pace without stopping are prediters and human's.
When I am stalking, I walk at a slow pace, the wind in my face, making surewhere I step and stopping every 50 steps or soand look around me 360*. Alwayshaving my weaponin a ready position to shoot. I like to carry it Indian style.

Doe Dumper 12-29-2005 03:36 PM

My biggest problem is not seeing them in time. I have to get some better glass. Id say the biggest problem most make is moving too fast. I can slip upon them pretty well..but half the time I cant see them until its too late. 6'5 is not a good height to see down low in the brush :D I guess it probably takes a lifetime to perfect stalking. My favorite is getting on a good track in a fresh snow and following it. I almost never get the deer Im tracking but I always end up getting something standing or laying around.

jcchartboy 12-29-2005 04:38 PM

I definetely believe that the biggest problem the average hunter has when they try to still hunt is failing to own and properly use good optics.

Most still hunters don't see deer until long after the deer have already seen them.....

My Leupold Wind River Mesa 8x42...