Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Chronic Wasting Disease in Pennsylvania >

Chronic Wasting Disease in Pennsylvania

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Chronic Wasting Disease in Pennsylvania

Old 12-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Chronic Wasting Disease in Pennsylvania

I keep hearing that CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) has been discovered in NY/PA border areas, and may already be in PA. What do you know about it, and how is it going to affect what's left of the herd? If it gets a foothold, will this mean a demise of our deer? Will harvested deer be suitable to eat?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chronic Wasting Disease in Pennsylvania

Maybe you guys need to start baiting. Here in texas we have been baiting since the beggining of time and not one case of CWD.

Old 12-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

CWD was first discovered in Colorado over 30 years ago and they're still hunting deer , elk , and mulies there . Wisconsin has the worst hotspot of it that I've heard of and they're still hunting them . No , I doubt that it would wipe out your herd any more than a bad spell of Blue Tongue would , but report any deer you see up toward NY that acts in an unnatural manner so that it can be tested for CWD . Better safe than sorry .
Old 12-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I haven't heard of a single case so before we spread rumors, we all know how easy the internet is for that, let's be sure...again, I haven't heard of a single case but I can't say for certain.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the facts concerning CWD in NY...

So far, the seven positive New York CWD deer were found in Oneida County. The first positive findings were from captive deer kept on farms, while the latest positives were discovered as a result of NY State testing of several hundred deer from Oneida county and surrounding areas. It is unclear whether CWD first affected deer on the farms, who then transmitted the disease to the wild deer population, or if the disease spread from the wild to the farm. Although CWD has not been found in other parts of NY, it is highly transmissible between deer. Other states have found that once the disease becomes endemic, it is close to impossible to contain and control.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

here`s a few other links about it in NY

http://www.oneidadispatch.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15634880&BRD=1709&PAG=461& amp;dept_id=68844&rfi=8

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/press/pressrel/2005/200542.html

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/press/pressrel/2005/200534.html
Old 12-29-2005, 08:04 PM

I don't know about PA but I just read an article in NC Game And Fish that said there has just been a case documented in WV.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:10 PM

WV had their first cases this summer. They then reported theyd been "recycling" deer carcasses from roadkills as compost in WV, and spreading it on the roadside wildflower programs. I had heard the state was even selling it.

Pa does not have a documented CWD case, although the rumor mongers persist. Must be a slow mountain lion season there, eh? Ok, settle down you lion spotters, it was just a joke!
Old 12-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

This is the first I have heard of the composting thing here in WV. I'm not questioning Bill, but if this is true they have now put regulations on deer farmers and probably us hunters for something they may have contributed to themselves.

I don't like to question the DNR a lot, at least publicly, but what were they thinking?

I also read today on Bowsite.com that they did not get any more positive tests this fall.

This CWD thing sure seems to be slippery.