Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 ethics/illegal activity related to laziness? >

ethics/illegal activity related to laziness?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ethics/illegal activity related to laziness?

Old 12-27-2005, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default ethics/illegal activity related to laziness?

Not directed at anyone in particular, but I was just wondering if lack of ethics and illegal hunting activities are more of a result of simply being lazy rather than a decision making process. Meaning..... for whatever the scenario it may be, the individual probably knows the right thing to do or decision that should be made, but opts for the easier(less ethical or legal) route. You may or may not have any idea what I'm talking about so here's a couple of examples:

* A deer is shot on your property. You follow the bloodtrail for a little ways. You have a good bloodtrail and you're 99.9% sure the deer is down. You come to a property line and you think the deer can only be within another couple hundred yards at most. You're not sure who owns the land. Never seen anyone around.Never ran into another hunter.You are the only vehicle parked in the area for miles. Go get the deer? Go get permission?
Getting permision would involve walking all the way back out to your truck and trying to track down the landowner. Walking all the way back to last blood and dragging the deer back out again.

-----------------------------------------------
* I hear this one a lot and it annoys me more everytime........ "hit one lost one".
Picked up my bow this morning and brushed off the dust, got my gear on and headed out. Had a buck 42 yards away at a hard quartering towards angle with some little brush and stuff in the way. I let it fly. Not sure where I hit it but I can't find my arrow. Waited 7 minutes and started to look for him. Saw little specks of blood with some greenish smelly stuff with it (hmmmmmm no idea what that is). Came across a golden rod field and jumped one up that looked like him. Crap that one got away. Oh well there's plenty more in the woods.

** pick up a bow and shoot some arrows before the season. Get a book, look on the internet, or find an experienced hunter and learn about recovering a dead deer.
----------------------------------------------

So what do you think. There are a lot more examples. Can a lot of issues be avoided by simply not being lazy or inpatient about things?Or is it a sincer lack of knowledge or understanding? I honestly believe a lot of these stories that we here the person really knows the right answer and decision to make but for some reason they don't.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ethics/illegal activity related to laziness?

I would agree that some of the problems are because of laziness.
I think exapmle #2 though is just a total lack of respect for the animal and hunting.
There were too many items in the example that do not relate to laziness. Shooting through brush, heavy quartering too shot etc.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Laziness, disrespect, selfishness and inexperience has ALOT to do with some of the problems! You really can't blame too much on the inexperienced because they are learning no matter the age. I know I am and always will! The do what I please, because I am who I am attitude sucks as well! It these people that are the downfall of the sport! JMO!
Old 12-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes I think you should make an effort to find the animal!
I also believe you should not carry a weapon on private property when doing so.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, it does have a lot to do with laziness. But that's with my ethics. Everyone has their own set of ethics. Being ethical to one hunter, won't always be ethical with another.

I've seen more talk about ethics on this hunting forum than ever, during this year. Starting to be a worn-out, beating a dead horse subject. Why someone would break the law, and then come online to talk about it is beyond me. I guess the difference between some hunters and me is I will dowhat I want to do, and be done with it. Bragging, justifying, or debate is not needed with my personal ethics, regardless if it involvesharvesting a wounded deer illegally or whatever.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

I dont care if the blood trail takes me to governor perry's back yard im gettin my buck.
I dont bow hunt but i think the same applies for rifles and yesanyone shouldpractice often.
I agree !
Old 12-27-2005, 12:11 PM
bigcountry

I also think it has to do with pressure. I know in some communities, killing a nice deer is very important. Some feel less adequate if they don't. They see all these guys pulling these monsters and while all they got was a spike. Generally people want to accepted.

I got a buddy that is a victim on this. He hunts hard but hasn't done well in the last 5 years. His dad kills nice deer and constantly bragges about it. So he feels pressure to go spotlighting to have a deer like his dad. Believe me, it doesn't stop on just hunting. His father has definately screwed this guy up. His dad has knocks his ego down every chance he gets from his family life to his professional life.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I also think it has to do with pressure. I know in some communities, killing a nice deer is very important. Some feel less adequate if they don't. They see all these guys pulling these monsters and while all they got was a spike. Generally people want to accepted.

I got a buddy that is a victim on this. He hunts hard but hasn't done well in the last 5 years. His dad kills nice deer and constantly bragges about it. So he feels pressure to go spotlighting to have a deer like his dad. Believe me, it doesn't stop on just hunting. His father has definately screwed this guy up. His dad has knocks his ego down every chance he gets from his family life to his professional life.
Sounds to me like HIS dad needs to be spotlighted !

dd
Old 12-27-2005, 03:59 PM

I own my own property, have a cabin on it,don't live down therebut I am there during most hunting seasons. I made it a point to talk to all the landowners around me to make sure there would never be a problem. I hate trespassers, but I do not have a problem if someone crosses to get game. But I do agree with the above poster, you better not takeyour weapon on my propertybecause if I am there and confront you, any slip in the way you point your weapon could cost you your life.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

NY, in response to your first example. i don't know about NY state, i have never been there, but here in florida the bears are THICK! by the time we walk back to the truck, find property owner, come back...a bear would have already found/caught the deer and drug it off. heck by the time you walk back to your truck, a bear would probally already have it.

i was hunting one weekend and shot a buck. i cleaned it and quartered it and put it on ice in a ice chest in the back of my truck so i could go back hunting. when i got back to my truck at the end of the day, i saw bear prints on the side of my truck and in the back of my truck. the bear grabbed the ice chest, slung it out of the back of my truck, opened it and run off in the woods with a ham. the bears are unbelievable down here and their protected (bear hunting prohibited). because of the anti's, we have no bear season!

Quick Reply: ethics/illegal activity related to laziness?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.