HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ethics/illegal activity related to laziness?
Old 12-27-2005, 08:57 AM
NY Bowhunter
Boone & Crockett

Default ethics/illegal activity related to laziness?

Not directed at anyone in particular, but I was just wondering if lack of ethics and illegal hunting activities are more of a result of simply being lazy rather than a decision making process. Meaning..... for whatever the scenario it may be, the individual probably knows the right thing to do or decision that should be made, but opts for the easier(less ethical or legal) route. You may or may not have any idea what I'm talking about so here's a couple of examples:

* A deer is shot on your property. You follow the bloodtrail for a little ways. You have a good bloodtrail and you're 99.9% sure the deer is down. You come to a property line and you think the deer can only be within another couple hundred yards at most. You're not sure who owns the land. Never seen anyone around.Never ran into another hunter.You are the only vehicle parked in the area for miles. Go get the deer? Go get permission?
Getting permision would involve walking all the way back out to your truck and trying to track down the landowner. Walking all the way back to last blood and dragging the deer back out again.

-----------------------------------------------
* I hear this one a lot and it annoys me more everytime........ "hit one lost one".
Picked up my bow this morning and brushed off the dust, got my gear on and headed out. Had a buck 42 yards away at a hard quartering towards angle with some little brush and stuff in the way. I let it fly. Not sure where I hit it but I can't find my arrow. Waited 7 minutes and started to look for him. Saw little specks of blood with some greenish smelly stuff with it (hmmmmmm no idea what that is). Came across a golden rod field and jumped one up that looked like him. Crap that one got away. Oh well there's plenty more in the woods.

** pick up a bow and shoot some arrows before the season. Get a book, look on the internet, or find an experienced hunter and learn about recovering a dead deer.
----------------------------------------------

So what do you think. There are a lot more examples. Can a lot of issues be avoided by simply not being lazy or inpatient about things?Or is it a sincer lack of knowledge or understanding? I honestly believe a lot of these stories that we here the person really knows the right answer and decision to make but for some reason they don't.