Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Good bow for starters?

Old 12-24-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Good bow for starters?

Looking to get into bow-hunting next year maybe... What would be a good bow for starters?

Dunno if it matters, but I believe here in Texas the bow musthave a 70-pound pull (?dunno if that is what it is called?)to legally hunt deer with it...

Anyway, don't wantanything too cheap, nothing too expensive, just something to get my feet wet with and hopefully I will enjoy it...

The problem I may have with it is that I am right handed, and I injured my right index finger (trigger finger) my freshman year in high school, it got caught between my facemask and another guy's facemask at full-speed... ex-rays didn't show anything so there wasn't much to do, it's just a tad crooked, does not bend all of the way anymore and sometimes extreme pressure can bring a sharp-pain to it, hope it doesn't effect me too much... I know about those deals where you can pull it back with your feet and stuff and it will stay cocked, but I don't want that, I want it to be as real as possible...

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Good bow for starters?

Im partial to the Oneidas myself. Thats what I hunt with. I use fingers, no triggers here
Old 12-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 70 pound minimum pull doesn't sound right. Too many people that couldn't pull one back. Old Uncle Ted will have to quit hunting there.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:45 PM

Here in Illinois it is 40# minimum. 70# doesn't seem right to me either. As far as what bow, that is up to you. Go and look at some, draw them, and shoot if you can. I would suggest not buying the cheapest you can. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Resident game birds and mammals: Rifles, shotguns, pistols, longbows, compound bows, recurve bows, crossbows and birds of prey (falcons, owls and hawks) may be used. Longbows, compound bows, recurve bows and crossbows must have minimum draw weights of 35 pounds. Hand-held releases may be used. Arrows used to take deer, hog or turkey must be equipped with broadheads having at least two sharpened edges with minimum widths of 7/8 inch. Non-migratory game can be taken from stationary vehicles.