Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

NEW WORLD RECORD BUCK

Old 12-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NEW WORLD RECORD BUCK

nah i was jk, it seems with my other titles no one has responded so ya...srry if i got n e ones hopes up
i have some after season questions
well 1) when i started the season i found no sign of deer on my land and now when i went back there i found 15 scrapes, 20 piles of deer poop, many trails and alot of hair. can deer leave an area during the season and come back after wards????
2)im looking for a spot to hang a stand and i dont know where to put 1
i have found many spots along a stream. would the deer walk along the stream or above the banks like 15 yards from the stream? im asking this so i know which way to face the stand
3)if there is no bucks left after this year will there be any "migrate" to my land that are shooters for next year ?
all i seen last year was a 4 pt and saw no other bucks
well please answer
Old 12-23-2005, 04:41 PM

Default RE: NEW WORLD RECORD BUCK

ORIGINAL: kwaldeier
well 1) when i started the season i found no sign of deer on my land and now when i went back there i found 15 scrapes, 20 piles of deer poop, many trails and alot of hair. can deer leave an area during the season and come back after wards????
2)im looking for a spot to hang a stand and i dont know where to put 1
i have found many spots along a stream. would the deer walk along the stream or above the banks like 15 yards from the stream? im asking this so i know which way to face the stand
3)if there is no bucks left after this year will there be any "migrate" to my land that are shooters for next year ?
well please answer
1)yes, they can move during the summer to food plots off your property for example.

2)i'd try and hang mine right where a couple deer stands intersect. that'd be a good spot. i'd only hang a stand near the river if there were deer trails going to it, if there arent then they must be using some other source of water. (deer trails are very important, they tell you where the deer go)

3)there most likely wont be any "shooters" migrating to your land. Once a buck reaches about 2 years of age then it settles into its current spot. but in its first 2 years of life, a buck will move away from its "herd" and inot another. so the only bucks coming onto your property will mostlikey be spikes. that 4pnt might be a 6 this year though.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

well please answer

deer are unpredictable sometime. in my experience, i have seen where dominate bucks have "taken over" another one's territory once he's gone. just because you have not seen any does not mean they are not there. this year, where i was hunting, a friend had a cuddeback trail camera set up over a scrape. we have pictures of 15+ bucks using one scrape. 3 of the 15+ are dominate bucks that will score in the 120" range. i know some people think a 120" buck is not dominate but here in Florida it is. in Florida, anything over 100" is a monster. this area i am speaking of is also a management area (public land).
Old 12-24-2005, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if you are talking about trying your hand at the late season, or preparation for next year. So Ill try to answer to the best of my ability.

Late July early August start with a trail camera if you can swing one. Put it on trails etc. as far as streams go, its very easy to tell if they cross there. You will find ruts in the bank where deer go up them, or if there is no high bank, a quick look in the mud on the shore should give you your answer. Keep in mind when hunting an entire season that trails that deer use in the early season may be entirely different then the ones they use in rut or late season. In early season when food sources are plentiful, deer take a bed-to-feed or feed-to-bed mentality moving back and forth. However in the pre-rut/rut bucks will open up their travel areas and cruise sometimes miles. It is not uncommon to see a buck during prerut that you have never seen anywhere near your property before. The best way to start out hunting an area that you are not totally familiar with is look for places where the land forces deer to travel a certain way. They are called natural funnels. A place where the woods narrows down, fallen trees, rock walls etc. all can form natural funnels. These are my favorite to hunt. Another thing to consider is wind direction. On my property 75% of the time the wind comes out of the NW. So I try to stay out of the Northern part of my woods (but I do hang a stand or two up there in case the wind happens to come out of the SE) Doing your homework preseason is 80% of the battle, scout the fields with spotting scopes to see where they are entering food plots, and returning to the woods. One last little thing I do occasionally when hunting a new woods is look for old built treestands. The hunters from 10,20,30 years ago put those stands there for a reason and SOMETIMES they can tip you off to deer travel. Hope this helps.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

im trying my hand is prep. for next
well i did have a cam, but i took it back because it ate up batterys like candy
what do u suggest that the best cam is under $150??
ya i am planning to set my stand on the northwest side of my land
1 because my neighbors to the south have 3 stands there they occupy
2. i know how the deer travel since last year but i guess they could change
yes this helped me alot and im sure i will be asking more stupid questions before next season