Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Im am sick SICK SICK !

Old 12-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Im am sick SICK SICK !

I took a friend of my sons deer hunting yesterday to Tennessee ...he is in his mid 30s and has hunted some but has only taken one doe in his life and that was last year ... while we were riding to the property I hunt I was telling him with the wind we had it would be best for him to hunt a stand that my son normally hunts ... I was hoping he would at least see a mature doe ... I told him there were two yearlings in the area ..one doe and one button buck and DO NOT shoot either if he saw them ...I told him they were small and normally were together ... I put him in his stand and went to mine ...the wind was very cold out of the north ...at about 4.45 I heard a shot so I was excited that he may have shot a buck or even a doe ...when I got to him I asked what he had shot and he said a doe ...we walk to where he said the deer fell and as we approched the deer got up and ran down into a bottom ...it was getting dark so I started to blood trail the deer ...after about 45 min. he was wanting to leave but I made him stay with it ..about 10min later I saw eyes looking back at my light ...it was down but still alive ...I got a sick feeling this was o ne of the yearlings ...I held the light on the deer at about 40 yards and he shot again puting the deer down for good ..as we approched the deer my worst fears proved to be true it was one of the yearlings and it was the little buck ... I WAS SICK not to mention AGRAVATED ..this deer could not have weighed 40 lbs ...he had blown out the left rear quarter ..and then had to shoot it again ... I made him drag the deer up hill by himself ...and we did not talk all the way home ... he got his things out of my truck ..got his deer and I left ... after thinking about it over night I feel that I was just as resposible as he was for the deer ... I shoulld never had put him in that stand ... I should have taken his experence in mind and put him somewhere else ...I thought about this all night and I am still sick about it ....[:@]

dd
Old 12-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Im am sick SICK SICK !

Hey Dr Death, don't take it so hard. Sure it is a shame that he shot a yearling deer (40 lbs-that is tiny) but hopefully he will learn a valuable lesson from this experience. From the way it sounds you didn't explain to him why you were so upset. If this is true, I think it would be worth your time to give the guy a call or even go talk to him face to face. Sounds like he is a very inexperienced hunter and getting good advice from someone like yourself (lots of experience) would only help.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is a bad situation, all i would hope for is his lack of experience in the woods lead him to believe that the deer was bigger than it actually was...and not one of the two you spoke of. i would be hard pressed in taking him hunting or even talking to him again if i knew that he knew it was one of the deer you spoke of.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:12 PM
bigcountry

Man ole man, that deer should taste good.

But hey man, putting a new hunter there was like putting afox in the hen house. You will have chicken every time.

Old 12-22-2005, 03:39 PM

Thats alot to put on a guy who has only taken one doe[&:]

Its tough to tell for a rookie what is what...maybe he was soooo exited.

Its hard to be mad at a rookie for making a VERY common mistake.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Live and Learn!!
Old 12-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Doc, sorry to hear about that! However I've learned a long time ago that when you are hunting with a inexperienced hunter things like this will happen. The most importatnt thing in my mind is to talk it through after the fact and make it a learning experience.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Doc...
That guy should of known better. Sure; if he's out scouting and he comes upon this little guy that's a differnet story. But when he has you.as his guide...he knows you will eventually put him in a good situation. He was flat out impatient. He flat out disobeyed you and ruined 1/4 of the deer to boot.

Chuck7
Old 12-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If ya knew he was in-experienced, why didn't ya sit in the blind with him? If he's only ever shot one doe, how can you expect him to quickly identfy a deer as a button buck or doe? Did you even find out the circumstances? Long shot, short shot, did he get to view the deer for several minutes up close, or what? I think ya owe him an appolgy for being so curt with him in that situation!!
Not everyone isas qualified to determine deer age, gender,and size as you are!!
Old 12-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Howler

If ya knew he was in-experienced, why didn't ya sit in the blind with him? If he's only ever shot one doe, how can you expect him to quickly identfy a deer as a button buck or doe? Did you even find out the circumstances? Long shot, short shot, did he get to view the deer for several minutes up close, or what? I think ya owe him an appolgy for being so curt with him in that situation!!
Not everyone isas qualified to determine deer age, gender,and size as you are!!
First he is a grown man who doesnt need someone to hold his hand ..
Second ... this was a triopod stand with only one seat
Third ... it was about a 50 yard shot
Forth ..he has hunted for several years ..even bow hunts but just has not been able to get the job done ..however he has wounded several
Fifth .. like I said in the post I take responsability for part of it ... but Ray Charles could have see the deer was about the size of a dog ..
Sixth ..this is not a child or a teen ..this is a grown man .. and the best I can hope is he learned a valuable lesson ..

dd

dd

Quick Reply: Im am sick SICK SICK !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.