Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

quick question about Slugs

Old 12-21-2005, 01:44 PM

Default quick question about Slugs

I am using a 12 gage tomorrow to go deer and squirl hunting. I plan on sitting in my stand with friends in the morning for deer and then around 11 shooting some squirls. This will keep me from having to bring two guns.I have never killed a deer with slugs. What do I need to know?

About how far can I shoot?
What do I need to look for when buyiing slugs in a few mins?
What shot, weight etc?
Do I need to aim a little high or what?

What am I forgetting?
Old 12-21-2005, 02:16 PM

Default RE: quick question about Slugs

Are you telling me you are just going to buy some slugs and go hunting? You are not going to shoot the gun first to see what it does with the ammo you want to use? I say don't go hunting if that is the case.

We can't tell you what your gun will do with what slugs or where to aim. That is why you sight in a rifle BEFORE you take it hunting. The only way to know how far you can shoot, how accurate it will be and what slugs to use is to actually get some and practice with it before you actually try and take game with it.

Would you switch arrows or the rest on your bow and hunt without tunning it or checking the sight in first? Same thing with a gun.

Paul
Old 12-21-2005, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

You are not going to shoot the gun first to see what it does with the ammo you want to use? I say don't go hunting if that is the case.
DITTO!!!, hillbilly, you got to be kidding right? I'm willing to bet your gun will not shoot slugs where you think they are going to go. Sight in first!!
Old 12-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: hillbilly17

I am using a 12 gage tomorrow to go deer and squirl hunting.

What am I forgetting?

Nah! you have no time to do anything else, so go ahead and do your thing!
You are not forgetting anything! You haveit down pat![:-][:-]
Old 12-21-2005, 04:15 PM

yes I have a Slug barrel , no I have never shot slugs at a deer. I just wanted to avoid taking two guns. No so worried about even shooting it at the deer, it was more of a just in case. I have killed plenty of meat this year. I am going that early so I can take my boss out and sit him in my stand. It was just a question, no need to crucify me..... We can actually use a rifle in my state hence me never shooting a slug at a deer.

If I kill one I will be considered lucky with this group. If I don't it will be a "told you so..... "

Thanks for the replies though. Got the slugs and went and shot them in case you were all worried. Hell it was only a trip to wal mart and a few feet out the door. Tomorrow should be fun.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: hillbilly17

yes I have a Slug barrel , no I have never shot slugs at a deer. I just wanted to avoid taking two guns. No so worried about even shooting it at the deer, it was more of a just in case. I have killed plenty of meat this year. I am going that early so I can take my boss out and sit him in my stand. It was just a question, no need to crucify me..... We can actually use a rifle in my state hence me never shooting a slug at a deer.

If I kill one I will be considered lucky with this group. If I don't it will be a "told you so..... "

Thanks for the replies though. Got the slugs and went and shot them in case you were all worried. Hell it was only a trip to wal mart and a few feet out the door. Tomorrow should be fun.

Find yourself a good used Savage 24F or 24V in .30-30/12ga and you will have both with you at all times!
Old 12-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Dominant Buck

This worries me to no end. The whole post is wrong.[:@]
Old 12-26-2005, 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Champlain Islander

This worries me to no end. The whole post is wrong.[:@]

lol