Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever fall out of your stand?

Old 12-18-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Ever fall out of your stand?

I was talking to a gentleman the other day, who has hunted for years/all his life, & he got dizzy for about 30-45 seconds & fell out of his stand. He was in the hospital & is now back to hunting again.

I'm just wondering if I'd ever want to be in a tree stand. I fell out of a tree when I was in grade school, but I didn't get hurt b/c I was sitting on wood.
Just curious.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ever fall out of your stand?

I sure did {Kind of} I was in Virginia hunting at Fort AP Hill. A man directed me to use his stand...which was in an awesome location. It was a fixed home made wooden stand. I had my 12 guage and started u p the tree....when all of a sudden the wooden step broke, I quickly tossed the 12 guage and my weight went down the tree my side cut open wide from the rusty nail. I had driven a long way and decided to stay.I scraped leaves away from an oak tree and sat cross legged indian style. I heard another hunter down the road slam his truck door. It was now day light. Then I heard what I thought was him walking noisily through the woods. I turned and saw an enormous monster buck. Huge. My first time and only time I had buck fever. I wa amazed at the size of the deer and his massive rack. Also sitting indian style I was afraid to move. In 4 seconds the biggest deer I've ever seen in real life was gone.
Chuck
Old 12-18-2005, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've missed the last step before, lol...but no i have never fallen out of it...Thank God
Old 12-18-2005, 07:42 AM

Sure have, that's why I only hunt from the ground!! Thank God for Double Bull blinds
Old 12-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

My cousin fell out of his stand. His feet hit on each side of a log and it sprained both ankles. It is a valuable lesson about one of the many dangers of getting stoned while you are deer hunting.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:42 AM

Never have fallen out, but have had a step on the ladder break. I did knock my muzzleloader out of my stand one time. It fell butt first about 25' to the ground. As I was diving around to the side of the tree to get as much cover as I could all I could think of was "I sure hope it doesn't fire when it hits!" It didn't and the gun was fine. Scared the you know what out of me though!
Old 12-18-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use to hunt out of one of those cheap warren & sweat cottonwood tree stands....you know the ones, when you slightly shift your weight and it slips down the tree. anyway, i fell asleep and fell about 30 feet to the ground. luckily there was a dense scrub oak hammock around the base of my tree to break my fall. it's a funny thing how you always seem to wake up right at the point of no return when falling.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never fallen out of a stand, but know severl guys that have. Fortunately none of them were seriuosly injured.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I have read somewhere that one in four hunters falls out of a tree stand sometime in his/ her life. we all need to be cautious.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have nodded out briefly on too many hunts. Usually all day hunts. I use my Hunter Safty System full-body harness from now on!

Quick Reply: Ever fall out of your stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.