Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

oak trees

Old 10-12-2002, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default oak trees

would seraching for oaks be probably hte first step of scouting deer? i know they feed off of oaks alot.

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs
Old 10-12-2002, 09:32 AM

Default RE: oak trees

when tha acorns are falling you can bet the deer will be there.a good place to look for the acorn crop before the season.if you find one tree with fruit the deer will visit it at some time most every day.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:42 PM

It's a good start and oaks are a good food source, deer love them. Tree Climber made a good statement, I would like to share a trick shown to me years ago and yes It has worked.

If you'er hunting in a oak patch and they are bareing, take a hand full of small rocks or even the acorns. When you get up into your stand and get situated, toss some of them down one at time during different increments, and if there is a deer with in hearing distance they will come in with an impression that acorns are falling.

I did this last year and sure enough I had a few spike come into investigate. They dang near came to the exact spot that the rocks/acorn where dropping.

I didn't take the spikes, but hopefully a bigger one may come in this year. It's worth a try.

Good Luck!

KEEP HUNTING THE GREAT OUTDOORS & GOD ALIVE, PASS IT ON!
Old 10-12-2002, 11:09 PM

I believe you hail from the great state of Kansas. If you terrain is anything like the great state of Oklahoma(who has the eyes of texas crying just now) most of the trees are along the creeks. Correct? If so the predominant tree is the "burr oak" which we used to call overcups. I am told they are members of the "white oak" family if the classification for the family is an oak with rounded leaf ends vs. pointy ends. They are maturing and dropping right now. Nice thing is you can glass them from a distance to find them and then check them out. Thats how I've scored twice this year. Not trophies but they are meat.

Hey, size may not matter but it sure IS nice!
Old 10-13-2002, 08:48 AM
Spike

Do white oaks usually drop acorns every year? My deer magnet has seemed to have dried up!

Jeff
Old 10-13-2002, 09:21 AM

White oaks tend to drop every two to three years with the third year a bumper crop. If the whites arn't dropping then find the pin or sawtooth oaks. The tend to produce every year and are a close second to the white oaks as far as prefrence goes.
You can increase your quality and your mass production by fertilizing your trees. They can be trees on game management even. Go get some fertilizer spikes and place them in the ground about four feet from the base of the tree and next year the deer will prefer the trees you spiked. Also works with persimmon trees.

sixpoint40
Old 10-13-2002, 08:47 PM

sixpoint you have six very good points. my forester buddies say to not fertilize in the fall at least with deciduous trees like oaks. they are in the process of going dormant and the fertilize hurts the process. spike them in the EARLY spring is good.

Hey, size may not matter but it sure IS nice!
Old 10-14-2002, 10:18 AM
Spike

Thanks, I will give it a try in the Spring!
Old 10-14-2002, 12:50 PM

<font size=4>You are correct Sooner. I should have mentioned that very important fact about the spring. Thanks for catching it.

sixpoint40</font id=size4>