Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 just got back from pike county.il...... >

just got back from pike county.il......

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

just got back from pike county.il......

Old 12-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Spike

Default just got back from pike county.il......

and it sucked......drove 11 hours each way and paid the outfitter over a grand and all i seen was smaller bucks and does......seen a couple 120 class bucks and that was it.....i also drove around a couple nights(without my bow)expecting to see some giants in the fields but i never seen over a 120 inch deer.....i know the gun season just happened up there but i thought this was the trophy "capital"??......extremely disappointed
Old 12-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: just got back from pike county.il......

Drive around Buffalo County, WI if you want to see the slobs!
Old 12-09-2005, 08:25 PM

anywhere in wi
Old 12-22-2005, 05:23 PM
emo

You were in the wrong [email protected]Pike co. Ohio
Old 12-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

O.K. .... I had a bad experence in Pike Co as well a few years back ...paid for me and my son to bow hunt ...the outfitter put us on a farm with no food sorce ... there were 20 hunters in camp ..the house we were in had no heat upstairs and my son got sick on the second day ...saw one 10pt about a 135 class buck but they had told us 140 and bigger ... I think Pike Co is over rated and OVER hunted !

dd
Old 12-22-2005, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Doc, I was wondering if you'll be hunting Alberta again in '06? I just sent off my deposit for Bow Zone bliss for next year. Ya gotta luv it!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

Hey Doc, I was wondering if you'll be hunting Alberta again in '06? I just sent off my deposit for Bow Zone bliss for next year. Ya gotta luv it!
Early if the Lord is willing and the creek don't rise I will be there ..Ive sent a depoist ... I admire you bro for bow hunting there ..its tuff to see all those monsters in the bow zone but in most cases not being able to shoot ... all I can say is YOU DA MAN !

dd
Old 12-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've bowhunted Pike and Adams counties for 9 years nowand they are both full of big deer. That being said, you went at a time when the hunting is very tough at best.If your outfitter overhuints the area the big boysthat are left could be totally nocturnal by now. Maybe the weather screwed you up. I have hunted one farm for a week every yearduring the rutand have had hunts where I didnt see the big boys but that farm has produced em for someone every year. You are still hunting mature whitetails and thats still one of the toughest game animals in the world.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I went there last season.... hunted w/ a real scam outfitter... but I must say, I did see a few really nice bucks going in and out of stand and driving around. I would go back... Just have to do a lot of outfitter research...
Sucks to get scammed, esp. on your first and only "guided" hunt.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

I went there last season.... hunted w/ a real scam outfitter... but I must say, I did see a few really nice bucks going in and out of stand and driving around. I would go back... Just have to do a lot of outfitter research...
Sucks to get scammed, esp. on your first and only "guided" hunt.

MA there are a lot of good outfitters out there to but I have found out a way to test them to see just how honest they are ...after my first fiasco in Pike Co ... after talking with a prospective outfitter and asking a lot of questions ...when I feel fairly comfortable and am considering booking with himI ask to committo one of twoterms ...seeing as how I do not know him ..or the area he hunts and at this point all we have is"lip" serviceI would like for him to guarantee that if I do nothave reasonable chance at a quality animalthen he will allow me to either hunt extra days at no charge or that he will allow me to return the next year at half price. I want him to have an incetive to make sure I have a good hunt ...Iknow that if he has something invested into my hunt like I do he will do his homework like scouting and stand placement ... now if I shoot and miss or wound an animal and cant recover him then he has full filledhis part of the obligation ... I have this agreement with my outffitter in Canada but I have never had to excercise that option and I think with any quality outfitter you most likely would not have to use that option and if he WILL NOT agree to one of the tow terms then that tells me he has very little faith in his area or his guiding ability and I will continue to look for a outfitter who willdo this ..you will be suprised at how many will agree ..they know that most likelyyou will never have these extra days if thet are hunting a quality area ....

dd

Quick Reply: just got back from pike county.il......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.