Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you butcher your own deer

Old 12-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you butcher your own deer

I always butcher my own deer. But it also gets pretty dang cold so I don't have to worry about the deer meat rotting in my garage. So do you butcher your deer or take it to a local butcher.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do you butcher your own deer

i butcher my own. I've thought about just getting some of it processed into sausage but have yet to do it. i like to butcher my deer. it takes me a while cause i usually clean it up pretty good before i bag it.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I butcher my own. Wouldn’t have it any other way.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I butcher my own for the most part. I have taken a few to a butcher if I want burger or sausage.

I like doing it myself, because I know it's clean. IMO It is sometimes a crap shoot at a butcher in regard to cleanlinessand you don't even know if you getting your deer or someone elses.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been butchering my own for quite a few years now...part of the hunt I think.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Always have!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have always butchered my own. I like to cook and cook our venison. By butchering myself I get to have the meat cut as I like it. I have no use for hamburger and I believe this is really what meat processors want to do because it is easy and forgiving of mistakes. It is not an excessive amount of work and I get more satisfaction, I think, from butchering the meat myself. I get a warm sense of satisfaction as I wrap up each cut portion of meat in plastic wrap, then in freezer paper, tape the paper securely, write a date and identifier on the package, and place it in the freezer. This year my 9 year old daughter wanted to help. I let her write the date and identifier on the package and put it in the freezer -- her writing is neater than my own!!!

I even butchered my son and my pronghorn antelopes on our out-of-state hunt in Wyoming last year. I just cut-up and packaged the meat in our hotel room and put it in dry ice. I had skinned and quartered the animals in a shed on the hunting property.

I hunt deer in Oklahoma where sometimes it can be warm during the hunt. In this case, if I can't leave the meat out overnight I will immediately skin and quarter the deer, leaving the quarters on ice in plastic garbage bags until the next day usually. Then I will butcher the meat that next day.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I even butchered my son
wow, i read that totally the wrong way!!
dont forget those possesive apostraphes (also, i dont know how to spell apostraphes, at all. [X(])

we butcher our own deer. We used to take them to a shop near us, but we just cant afford it anymore. why pay for somehting that we can do ourselves. I think that shop doesnt do it anymore. Probably jsut butcher for themselves and friends now.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:31 AM

Absolutely. I feel it is part of the hunt. Plus it is very enjoyable.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to but the wife and oldest daughter ask that I don't do it at the house

Quick Reply: Do you butcher your own deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.