Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you butcher your own deer

Old 12-08-2005, 12:52 PM

Default RE: Do you butcher your own deer

I used to. Never enjoyed it though, nor did I have adecent set up that wasn't a big hassle and mess. When I found a good meat cutter who would do it quickly (same day or next) and for a fair price, cut, wrapped, ground, etc - and do it better than me - I haven't looked back.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:53 PM

I would if i knew how to do it. I have bought videos and all that stuff but still cant do it. So looks like i get to pay $65 everytime

Old 12-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

we butcher our own, we can get just as much meet and save the 60 dollars...
Old 12-08-2005, 01:02 PM

Yes we do. My father and his father have been doing it since I was a youngster. It's a tradition. It kinda puts a ! on the end of the hunt/season for me. We all get together on a Sunday watch the football game and cutem' up. The last few years our hunting partytook quite a few deer on opening dayso we had to drop one or two off at the butcher to make it a little easier on us, but other than those few we have always done our own.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:26 PM

I've been thinking of doing my own. I can't afford the price any more. What do I need to start doing it?(hoist, knifes,butcher paper) Are there any good videos out there to show how to do it.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:49 PM

Great video for free here http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/video/deerfield.wmv?lid=1038&NavPath=C151C158 I always do my own. Its a family affair. in warm weather I quarter a deer up and put in a cooler in ice water. the water will turn red with blood, I drain it and refill it letting it bleed out in the cooler. Works great and I dont have to worry about getting it to a processor, and can keep hunting.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

We used to always butcher our deer, but over the years, it has gotten warmer and warmer during season and rather than having the meat go bad, we just take it to the processor right away.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:02 PM

Always. We get together every Sunday morning during deer season to cut up whatever's been taken that week.

With a crew of 4-5 guys, we do one deer in about 45 min - 1 hr. It's part of the comraderie for our group.

Plus, I like being involved from shooting to eating.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have always done my own. I take quite a few gameanimals every year and the cost would kill me. We have done six mule deer this year and still have two tags left. We bought a grinder and sausage stuffer and all the other goodies at Cabalas. My wife enjoys the work as well so we do it all together.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I butcher my own. This year, it's up to 5 deer and 2 antelope. It's easy to butcher a few deer a year, and make it into jerky, prime cuts, and the rest is ground up into burger.

Quick Reply: Do you butcher your own deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.