Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

1st Hunting Season

Old 12-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 1st Hunting Season

sounds like you've found a good luck charm. if i was you i'd sit with him all the time
Old 12-08-2005, 12:11 PM

You got that right Jimmy... Little joker ask me " Why are you taking your gun daddy"... I have created a monster.... But I love it...
Old 12-08-2005, 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: woofer

You got that right Jimmy... Little joker ask me " Why are you taking your gun daddy"... I have created a monster.... But I love it...
LOL. That's priceless, woofer. Congratulations to you and your son! Hope it's the first of many seasons hunting together for you guys. Since some are focusing on age in this and other threads, could you clarify a point? I'm guessing that you were right beside your son when those deer were shot. Not just for safety, but who in their right mind would miss out on something like that?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow, In Michigan they presented a bill to move the age to 16 years old with a gun... It didn't pass luckily or I wouldn't have harvested my deer this year... crazy
Old 12-08-2005, 01:40 PM

Thanks Okie... Lordhave mercy who in their right minds would turn a 6 yr old loose with a high powered rifle or any other firearm... Yes I was sitting right beside him all three times... The rifle is propped in my corner of the stand and when the deer is seen I get the gun and put it outthe window and he does the rest... I ask him "do you have a full scope? " do you have the crosshairs where they need to be" wait till the deer stops.. take a breath and squeeze the trigger....If anybody has a problem with thi,s thats their problem ( big problem)...I would take those three hunts a gold monkey.......
Old 12-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Typical Buck

Congratulations to you and your son. Unfortunately, I have not been able to take my son hunting with me yet...he's just2, or will be 2 in January. Both he and my daughter love to go for walks and look at the wildlife and drive around looking for deer though. How did you get your son started so early? I would love to be able to do the same thing, but in Nebraska, kids have to be 13 to hunt big game....and only after successfully completing hunter safety.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:09 PM

That to bad Buckhunter,, I got him a BB and of course going over the basic safety rules... Fortunatley he was a natural... The last couple of summers at deer camp he would shoot my .22 at turtles ,snakes and dillers... He is a good size young'un.. I justthought he could handle a youth model rifle... and he can.... the rest is history... just takes time and patenice... and alot of shooting and talking about the dangers.... I hope this helps.....
Old 12-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

That's what I was thinking about doing for his first gun, a bb gun, then working him up toa .410, then .22, then bigger shotgun up to a high power, probably 30-30 first. I was thinking about starting him at age 6, but it sounds like your son has been shooting for quite a while right?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its 12 and 13 in the Dakotas. I favor this age limit. It worked for me and my kids.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:29 PM
RMQ

Woofer, tell your son congrats & take lots of pictures!!!!!
God Bless

Quick Reply: 1st Hunting Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.