Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Low Cost, simple, safe Tree Stands you make in Y-Tree >

Low Cost, simple, safe Tree Stands you make in Y-Tree

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Low Cost, simple, safe Tree Stands you make in Y-Tree

Old 12-07-2005, 06:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Low Cost, simple, safe Tree Stands you make in Y-Tree

I'm not crazy about those steps , but I like the idea in general and I have a couple of "Y" trees on the property that would make good candidates for that type of stand . Thanks for the tip ! [8D]
Old 12-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

No offense, but no thank you. Looks like a prime candidate for broken legs, ribs, etc to me. Also looks like it would be extremely uncomfortable for any length of time.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm reading this post and feel like I'm being spammed.[:@]
Old 12-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

True, the rope does become brittle after about 5 or 6 years. Yes we have used chains also, but the chains are more costly and heavier, we have found ropes OK if changed out every 5 years. I tell people that on my web site. As for squirrels eating the rope, hemp rope yes, but NOT poly prop rope. We use to use hemp rope, but it is not as strong, the sun damages it real fast and mice and squirrels eat it.

Sounds like you used a "system" similar to mine, I just wanted to share it, since I know when I was young that I didn't have a lot of money, loved to hunt and had little knowledge of how to safely make tree stands. Maybe you can use the Y-boards. Thanks for your advice on Chains, I will add this tonight to my "how to make Rope Steps" and say you recommend chains with hooks on the end. What do you use as hooks? Bolts with two large flat washers?
Chap Gleason
Old 12-07-2005, 11:54 AM

Looks like a great idea...maybe I'm lazy...maybe I'm stupid...but old lumber (no, not rotten and "unsafe" as that has been the topic of most posts in this thread) is easy for me to find and for the trouble of making and setting that up I'd prefer to tack a few boards up and use pole-barn nails for steps. I've never seen a full grown tree die or become ill after using that kind of step, and if you nail 'em in right I don't find they're slippery or weak.

Just thought I'd throw some fuel on the safety fire
Old 12-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info!!!! Will give them a try.

Scott Woody
Old 12-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your welcome Kevin1. Chap Gleason
Old 12-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am sorry you feel that way Firehawk7309, I didn't send this to your inbox you opened it of your own free will, so I don't see the Spam allegation. If your not interested in the info on Y-board. Please disregard and move on to some other topics. Thanks
Chap Gleason
Old 12-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am not familiar with pole barn nails Soilarch. I have seen and used large nails and spikes including Rail Road spike. They are hard, hurt your feet, are slipery and if you slip it get you a gash in the rib or in the shin. But your's is an additional idea. Thanks for your comment.
Chap Gleason Loudoun Co Va.
Old 12-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your welcome Lswoody. Amen. Chap Gleason Loudoun Co Va

Quick Reply: Low Cost, simple, safe Tree Stands you make in Y-Tree

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.