Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Things that are wrong with southern hunting >

Things that are wrong with southern hunting

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Things that are wrong with southern hunting

Old 12-05-2005, 04:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Things that are wrong with southern hunting

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Hey Reb, how about those crazy red ants

You mean Fire Ants!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

That was great, NYBH!!! [8D]

It brought back memories of the stories I have heard from my dad, uncles, etc... when they used to hunt in upstate NY way back when. (Man, I wish I was born 10 years earlier so I could have gone hunting with them [&o])

Here in Virginia, it's a combination of both the north and south. (In the north, you freeze your a$$ off in 2 1/2 feet of snow and -20 degree temps. In the south, you roast with 80 degrees temps and get tormented by bugs and snakes and chiggers...) Here in Virginia, it's a guessing game on how to dress, so you end up bringing two sets of camo clothes in your truck! Ibringmy heavy insulated camo jumpsuit when it's late Nov & Dec, but always wear my standard camo pants, shirt, jacket. I always have a set of thermal long johns in my backpack in case the weather takes a turn for the worse and the temps drop down suddenly.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: FlDeerman

NY thought I would die laughing,you make the bugs and heat seem like child play.I'll take our Southern winters anytime.Great story.Oh and stepping in the middle of a quail covey in the dark,really gets the heart pumping.LOL

Old 12-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: FlDeerman

NY thought I would die laughing,you make the bugs and heat seem like child play.I'll take our Southern winters anytime.Great story.Oh and stepping in the middle of a quail covey in the dark,really gets the heart pumping.LOL

Yeh the quail will get you going BUT wait till your walking up the mountian and all of a sudden a flock of turkeys come off the roost ...MAN you talk ABOUT having a heart attack ...sounds like a helicopter ten feet above you ...

dd
Old 12-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Dominant Buck

DD, it happens here too!
Old 12-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Reb.
I hated those things. Scared the poop outa me
Old 12-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Early in the season the heat and the skeeters are bad. Not a lot of complaints here, but the biggest would be where I hunt the rut starts around the middle of January and is just getting good when the season ends the first of February. I would like for the season to start a couple of weeks later and end the middle of February. Havn't seen a heavy snow since '74.
Ditto minus the snow in 74, I wasent born for another 9 years... But it sucks being carried off by the skeeters every afternoon as well as the yellow fliesand the ticks and waspthat are here almost year round and then theres the fire ants that live every where and in everything you touch,and our deer may be smaller but they sure are alot easier to drag out of the woods. other then that I cant complain
Old 12-05-2005, 07:50 PM

whats worse is when you do a heck of a job sneaking into your spot and you set up at the base of a tree and about the time it gets light enough to see, the turkeys see you and take off, now THAT is worse than kickin them up, and on top of scarin ya, they also scare the deer that may be just out of sight...also in WV we thought temperatures were way too hot last year when they hit mid 40s, personally i hate the temperature game because i always sweat (no matter what the temperature) until i get settled into my spot, then i freezewith the waterno matter how many layers i have on
Old 12-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Hmm.. let's see. Heat, heat,heat, mosquitoes that are making off with rabbits, thorns, oh ya and did I mention heat.Last saturday it was 84 degrees, this friday it is going to be 25!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

1. Over exposure to deet.

2. Not wasting time to bother with a moccasin in a water holebecause deer season is just a week away, and you are checking for wasps in a stand you have not been too in a while.

3. Having the sun beat down on your rubber boots and cooking your feetabout 2 o'clock in the afternoon while pondering whether to get out of the tree and get the extra hat you leftat the 4-wheeler that is not sweaty.

4. Wearing a face net. Not for conceilment, but to keep the mosquitoes off you face.

5. Waking up, and finding a bracelet of mosquito bites around your wrist from the only spot of exposed skin.

The list is longer, but there is nothing like looking at the weather and seeing a forcasted High of less than 60 degrees.

C. Davis

Quick Reply: Things that are wrong with southern hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.