Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hunting videos and expectations >

Hunting videos and expectations

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting videos and expectations

Old 12-04-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Hunting videos and expectations

I admit that I love watching hunting videos. It's something of a tradition for my dad and me to kind of kick off the season by watching some of our favorites (Primos) and some new ones too. I've noticed though that my brother-in-law, who is just getting into the sport, has been very discouraged so far this season. He and a friend put in a lot of work on their lease, and so far only have one doe to show for it. Probably doesn't help that dad and I filled our tags on the first weekend. I think it's great that he's started deer hunting, because it gives us guys something in common (he's from Texas and an Eagles fan to boot, so we really need something). Now I'm worried that he might be losing interest because of his lack of success. Normally I'd say that if just being out there isn't enough to keep you out there, then you just shouldn't go. But, like I said, I'd really like to see him get into it. Anyways, from talking to him, I'm convinced that after watching a lot of videos he expected to go out and automatically bag a wall-hanger which conveniently decided to graze in his food plot on opening morning. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm going to try my best to get his mind right, because my 4 year old nephew is already chomping at the bit to get out in the woods. I guess if things don't work out, I'll get to take him, but I think that his dad should be the one to have that privilege.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting videos and expectations

IMO the "kill" videos are tough on new huntersbecause theygive them a false sense of what hunting is really like andsets their expectations way too high. Best betare videos that explain deer and deer hunting so they understand that hunting isn't just about bagging, tagging and dragging. It also helps them to form a realistic opinion of what goes on in the woods instead of the "perfect land/perfect setups"hunting we see in most videos.

When I watch "kill" videos or TV shows it's mostly for shot placement, what to expect from a downed deer, etc. I understand that these folks are "professional" hunters and hunt in an entirely different world than most of us.

I can't name them off hand but I have a few videos in my collection that do nothing but teach you about deer habitiat, movement, the rut, their senses, etc. They just let you know what you're up against when you step foot in the woods really.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:58 AM
Dominant Buck

If your BIL expects every hunt to be like what he sees in those carefully edited , and sometimes staged , videos then he's set himself up for disappointment . It can take several weeks just to shoot the raw footage , and quite often they splice in stock footage so that a kill shot is guaranteed . Pure Hollywood , just the dream , not the work leading up to it . If he's really discouraged then tell him this for me , it took me 6 years to get my first deer , and it was just a button buck .
Old 12-05-2005, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kevin1
It can take several weeks just to shoot the raw footage , and quite often they splice in stock footage so that a kill shot is guaranteed . Pure Hollywood , just the dream , not the work leading up to it .
You mean those shots where trophy bucks walk by their stands 5 minutes after they walk 200 yards through dry crunchy leaves and climb into their stands are staged?