Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

dog work

Old 12-04-2005, 11:49 AM

Default dog work

Being a european I just had to ask.

Is there a law in USA that prohibits the use of dogs when tracking wounded game?

Maybe its a stupid question but then againfinding out what works differently elsewhere is why Im in this forum.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dog work

welcome to the boards, I hear and read that it's becoming more popular. However, to be sure, contact your local game warden. He will know for sure, and he may even offer to helpin recovering it. Remember, ignorance is no excuse for the law. good luck.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:04 PM

Thank you.
If I understand you correct the rules can be different in different places.

Can you hunt deer, (moose, elk, bearor whatever) with dogs driving or pinning down the game for a stalk?

Here it is illegal to hunt deerif you do not have access to a trained tracking dog within two hours. Same with birdhunting.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

don't know where your from, but I don't know if any state that allows dogs to pursue deer while hunting them.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:45 PM

he said he was from europe.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

your right, guess they do things differant over there.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

Hi 3D welcome to the forum. Right now only about 2/3 of the United States allows the use of tracking dogs in one form or another. Some states allow the dog to search free other restrict it to the dog must be on leash. I have the info for most states right now as to what they allow. You do not have to have a dog on retainer to hunt. In fact there are still a lot of hunters that do not know that a tracking dog can increase thier recovery rates.I am workng on the legislative page to a new organization forming here in the states to promote the use of tracking dogs. http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/

As far as using dogs to pursue big game, this is more restricted. There are a few states that allow the use of dogs to "drive" the deer to the hunter, mostly in the southern states. Also some dogs are used in the pursuit of Hogs and Mountain Lions.

Were in Europe are you located? I am using Bavarian Mountain Hounds to track with. We have 3 at this time. We have 2 females from Poland and a male from Norway. My web site is http://www.geocities.com/kapkep/You can see some pictures of different BMH's from around the country that we have helped people import.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:00 PM

Wow Wildlands!!! You dont go halfhearted do you. Thereare no better trackers for lost deer that I have heard of. I really like Schweissdogs ever since their breed club helped organize the field trial I did with my terrier. The judge claimed it was sort of a custom to lead a tiny tiny blood trial for the pup to follow to the mothers milk.That gang was as serious as any I have ever known when it comes to tracking. Training the dogs on week old tracks, frozen, following a highly trafficated road for some hundred meters, scent trails made with a spraying bottle with only a few strains of deer hair in water etc etc. Training themselves too. Never before have I metsomeone who from a few brokenhairs could correctly call wherea deerwas hit. Even ifI and my terrier is nowhere near these experts he sure is a lot better than most of humanity.
Very nice home page and I sure hope people will realize the benefit of your services. It is not only a responsible act of hunting but it i also a true pleasure to see a good equipage at work.

Im from Sweden to narrow things down (maybe If I say Norma people will know). We hunt different animals in different ways. Some dogs ( labradors, german pointers and terriers)will simply follow any animala few hundred meters and others will slowly hang in for ideally an hour. Then we use dachshounds or other small dogs. Cant put a big dog after a deer for long. It would be to stressful for the deer. Almost only roe deer is hunted like that. Shotguns with US 3 and no longer range than 25 to 30 meters. Combination guns wit one or two shotgun barrels and one rifle barrel.
Moose and wild boaris sometimes hunted with a dog that occupies the animal long enough for a stalk. Also bear and badgers are prone for this as they are more likley to stand their ground.

Dog hunting is fun!!!

Old 12-05-2005, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the complament on the dogs. I have been very pleased with how she works the old lines. We have not had an oppurtunity to really test her on a very old line say over 36 hrs. The longest so far has been 18 hrs and we had to stop tracking when we got to the property line. The hunter did not have permision to cross onto the ajoining landowner.
There are many in the northern part of the Unites States that use the wirehaired dachshound for tracking with good sucsess. This breed has been favored for many years but I expect the BMH's to start gaining popularity as people find out about them.