Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun only states???

Old 12-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun only states???

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

Illinois is shotgun only, although you are able to use muzzleloaders and handguns but centerfire rifle is off limits! If only I could've used my 7 mm mag. on Friday! I had a 150 class buck at 80 yards! Oh well,maybe next year!

you should invest in a scope for your shot gun and some time at the range. you should be able to take a deer with these new slugs we have today. next time you se that bruiser take a shot man and post some pics for use
Old 12-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

hunter 59 sez........
If only I could've used my 7 mm mag. on Friday! I had a 150 class buck at 80 yards!
80 yards and you thought you needed a 7mm to take him? Just 80 yards?

Old 12-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Indiana is shotgun , muzzleloader , or pistol during the general firearm season . We have a separate muzzleloader only season after that. You can bow hunt through both , and use a crossbow for deer during the late archery season only. Crossbows are legal for all other species throughout the year .
Old 12-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

You could use copper coated 00 Buckshot at 80 yards, those newer rifled barrelled slug guns are good for 150 yards or better, get one send us some photos of your kill....
Old 12-04-2005, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

ORIGINAL: IAKSmith

Iowa is a shotgun only state. There is also a hnadgun and muzzle loader season but no high power rifle season.

Iowa does have a rifle season now. It is for antlerless, and restricted to northern counties. But a rifle season none the less.

Like said earlier, here in Illinois we are shotgun, muzzleloader, and handgun only for firearms.
Iowa rifle season is for the southern 2 tiers of counties. You were correct it is for does only. It is to help use up Doe only Quota's in high population counties for the purpose of population control. I think it is going to be a late season starting around Jan. 10th and I don't think it last very long.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

I agree. I have droped them in their tracks with my sling shot at 90yds.
Lots of people underestimate the shotgun because they are thinking 35yrs ago.