Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I need some suggestions about dogs. >

I need some suggestions about dogs.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I need some suggestions about dogs.

Old 12-03-2005, 05:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default I need some suggestions about dogs.

I would like some reasonable suggestions about what to do about some dogs roaming the farm I hunt in Tennessee. The owners of the dogs live on the adjoining farm and are educated successful people. They own to Labs that almost everyday want to run through the woods on our property to try and chase deer. I am a dog lover and obviously do not want to shoot them ... Ive also tried to reason with their owners but it has not seemed to work and the people do not allow hunting on their farm. I pay about $1000.00 for the hunting rights to this property plus I have to drive 60 miles round trip to hunt there. I have several stands on the property that I have bought.... these dogs have ruied a few Turkey hunts in years past not to mention keep our deer spookey ... I need some suggestions ..

dd
Old 12-03-2005, 06:14 PM

Default RE: I need some suggestions about dogs.

DD wish i could help, had the same problem once,and didn't want to shoot the dogs. or get into a big fuss with the owners.hunting wasn't to good there, so finally let the lease go.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:18 PM

Hey DOc,
I got a dog whistle from my fatherin law. Has seemed to work quite well. I blew it at a coupla does to test it and they didnt respond at all. It might be a fluke but works for me.
Good lUck
Nathan
Old 12-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

get your neighbor to put up a fence or one of the invisble fences for dogs
Old 12-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW..I live in the city and we would just call the dog catcher and the owner would be fined. I would call the county officials and ask them what to do. There must be a law about free roaming dogs.
There must be a law against it.

Old 12-03-2005, 07:21 PM

Around here we kill the dogs. It's legal if they're running loose on your property...not sure what the law is where you live.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:31 PM

I have almostexactly same problem, except I own my land and have a cabin on it so can't get away from it too easy. I have tried all sorts of things and even resorted to shooting them with pellet guns. Something was tearing apart my lattice around the bottom of my porch so I set up my game camera and it was his dogs trying to get at what ever animal was under my cabin. Nothing seems to work. I complain but since he lives down there all the time he feels he can do whatever he wants. I had them chase a buck off on opening day. This morning they wererunning around on my deck at my cabin. I hear them all the time barking while chasingdeer through the woods. We are going to move down there permanently in a couple of years and if I still have the same problem I will have to dig a hole.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:06 PM

Most if not all counties in VA have a leash law. If the dogs are not directly supervised by their owners or used for hunting purposes they must be on a leash. If you have a similar law in your neighborhood call the dog warden and have themtake the dogs to the pound.

If the owners don't claim the dogs within a certain time period the problem will be taken care of. If they do claim the dogs they will have to pay a fee to get them back. I bet after paying the fee a couple of times they will learn it is easier to keep them under control!
Old 12-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Use a paint ball gun on them every time you can , it hurts and non fatal , may drive the dogs home for good
Then explain to the neibors you could have shot them with real bullets .
Be nice .
Explain you don't want to hurt the dogs , but you are paying to hunt and their dogs are ruining your hunting land .
Dog wardens in my area are useless , but if you can catch the dogs she will pick them up .

Better yeat if you can catch the dogs take them right to the dog pound .

Johnch

Old 12-03-2005, 10:11 PM

I don't understand why people are hesitant to "dispose" of these dogs. You work all year maintaining your land, maybe taking care of food plots, etc., spend countless hours scouting and prepping your hunting area...and then you'll let it all be hosed by some dog(s)? I have NO problem shooting any/all dogs on sight...perhaps someone that lives in town, or very near town...maybe it's different then...but I know where I hunt, and on the land that's owned by family members, dogs are dispatched quickly and buried so that the 'yotes don't get a free meal.

Quick Reply: I need some suggestions about dogs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.