Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I need some suggestions about dogs. >

I need some suggestions about dogs.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I need some suggestions about dogs.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:38 PM

Default RE: I need some suggestions about dogs.

Shoot them and sale them to chineesse restraunt.Make a few bucks on the side.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:02 PM

LOL...now that's the BEST advice I've seen so far...but I'm sure it will meet with some disagreement.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hav-A-Heart traps, depending on the dog size and heaven forbid you have any attachment to the animal. As harsh as it sounds and as sad as it is....catching one and taking it to the shelter is perhaps the very best way to go in situations such as this.. [&:][&o]

The reason I say this is that one of my Wolf/hybrids is a really old man....Dakota was 19 on the 31st. of October this year. I have neighbors that have a philosophy that if their dogs get out of line.......shoot em!

Well, Two nights ago their two dogs were harrassing Dakota, who was in his house and trying to protect his food....enough was enough!!! And NO these are not feral dogs....but a "neighbors". Needless to say......Dog gone but .....at the shelter rather than the alternitive.

Don't get me wrong.....one has to remember when you live in a glass house.....one does not throw stones.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:32 AM

Remember guys, he was asking for a reasonable solution. I have no problem with shooting feral animals - I've done it. But shooting someones' obviously pet labs (not feral - but running loose, theres a difference). Two problems with this solution. First, you're punishing the dog because it's owner is a bone head. Second, it is most likely to lead to very bad blood with the neighbors if they have any inkling that it was you that shot them. Poor relationship is bad, but it could be worse if they think of an a$$hole way to try to get even.

What I would do and what I have done - assuming neitehr the owner or animal control can help - is do what someone else suggested. Catch the dogs and just take them to the pound. At the very least, the owner pays the fine and is at least punished a little for it. At best, that gets their attention. Also, you can do this anonymously. Labs should be easy to catch, just invite them into the cabin or car for a snack! My lab would make friends with Sadam Hussein if he had a tiny crumb of a cracker. I doubt you'd even need a hav-a-hart.

Bad situation, I wish you well.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Fork Horn

DD,
You definately have asituation. Have you mentioned anything to the individuals that you lease the hunting from? Shooting the dogs would not be a good option. Nothing good could come from that. Maybe you could have a conversation with the owners of the dogs. Make sure they are aware that the lease costs you $$ and the dogs are interferring with your hunting. Possibly let them know when you plan on hunting and they could keep the dogs from roaming. Sometimes good communication can resolve these kind of issues. Good Luck!!
Old 12-04-2005, 02:10 AM

DD have you invited them to hunt on your leased property? I would think you have it all posted if you are leaseing it. Maybe they feel like well you got this land posted right beside my property and haven't beeninvited to hunt on it,Screw it let the dogs run it if they want. That could be a starting point in getting this resolved is to invite and let them hunt on that land if they are hunters. Plus it could be that the dogs has always roamed on that land before you leased it and they never had any complaints about it before.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Tough call but I am with the Havahart man except I can build my own box traps. My only deal ..I'm not sure a dog would go into a box trap.

1. The man already knows DD is upset about the dogs. If DD shots the dogs there could be some serouis and deadly consequences. Let's not forget the Wisconsin situation.

2. Again ...your best choice ....call the county seat and find the right person to talk with. There must be a law against it. However..remember you aint doing to bad .You have already killed 2 deer this year that none of us will probably ever match.

I have horrible neighbors. I simply called and called untill I got the right people. Teh right people for me is

Code Enforcers......My neighbors in the city had 41 bee hives. There was no law for bees in the city . They made one up just for me. Bees were gone in 10 days. The bees would come over in a swarm in sting the heck out of us.

Also we learned for the LOUD music. When you call the law..ask them to bring an Avid David with them. High class word for a fine. That will dampen the sound in a heart beat.

yeah...pick up the phone and get in touch with the right people.
Chuck7

Old 12-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Typical Buck

hunt the dogs in the off season with a TIPPMAN. LOL, HA HA HA, just kiding. talk to the owner again, if it doesn't work maybe you could use a deterent scent on the boundery line? i'm not suggesting hurting the dogs, but maybe you could scare them into not wanting to come on the land. then again you might be able to train the labs to push deer to you.......SLOWWWLY
Old 12-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

You say they are educated successful people. You say you have tried talking to them. It has gotten you no where. Problem still fully exists. Options?

Try to capture the dogs. If successful, you could do a couple different things.

a) Turn the dog into shelter to be adopted by someone away from your
place.

b) Spray paint the dogs and let them eventually go home. I would use a
very bright fluoresent paint like those used to mark streets. Green or
orange should do it. Maybe a little note on the collar letting them know,
"If this could happen to your dog - imagine what else could happen."
(Ever see a fluoresent green ***** cat? There was one around here. It
seems that the fluoresent ones liked to dig in our flower beds.)

OR..........

Dig a nice hole and take a picture of it. Give the picture to the neighbor and let them know. "You control the dogs - or I will."

Being that they are educated and successful they should be able to understand some of these options.

Finally, there's the option of not shooting to kill, but to wound. Like a lower/mid leg shot. (And I know you're a good enuogh shot to leg 'em).
With this option, old Rover will return home to Mommy & Daddy who will get socked with the vet bills. Maybe their pocketbooks understand better than their brains?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I've found that a well placed shot from a spring piston type air rifle always gets their attention , andwithout serious injury to the animal . Mine has amuzzle velocityof 1,000 FPS , I can plink a dog from 50 yards and reasonably expect it not to return . The flat nosed match pellets are ideal, the hollowpoints work well too .

Quick Reply: I need some suggestions about dogs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.