Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

advice with shotgun hunting

Old 12-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default advice with shotgun hunting

In my area up here in MA there is alot of pressure, the deer dont seem to be moving a whole lot and some guys are telling me to get down from my stand and move around and try to kick the deer up. Should I be doin this instead of waiting for them to come to me? I know with a bow my only real choice is to wait em out!
With a shotgun should I creep around real quiet or should I walk through making some noise so that they will jump up?
I dont know to much about hunting with the shotty.
Any advice since I aint seein deer from my stand?

Thanks
Jim
Old 12-03-2005, 03:46 PM

Default RE: advice with shotgun hunting

When things are slow, my dad moves around to push deer to us. If you don't have anybody you know to push deer to, why push deer around to guys you don't know. Which brings up the question are you hunting public or private?

If you got a team of guys, I would walk around making as much noise as I could to push deer to one of the other guys.

If you are hunting the land by yourself I would creep along hoping to get close enough for a shot, I would only do that if I knew the pattern of the deer or at least knew areas where they pass through a lot. You could always just creep around see if you find a spot with better, more and fresher deer sign and find a spot to postfor another day and hunt that spot fora day and try your luck. You never know if you find that spot at the right time you'll find deer there too. I am not very experienced but that is what I would do based on my little experience on hunts with the experienced.

What area in MA?

What model 870 you got? I have the new for 2005 Express Mag. with sythetic stock and forearm with monte carlo and 23" fully rifled cantilever barrel and Simmons 1.5-5 Vari-X scope. Shoots good with Hornady's but haven't put them to the ultimate test in the field yet.

My shotgun season consists of the Quabbin Deer Hunt which provided me an opportunity at a buck of a lifetime, too good to be true for someone who has yet to kill their first deer. But unfortunately I missed.