Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fairly successful hunt.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fairly successful hunt.

I got home earlier this week from a week long combination deer hunt/family thanksgiving trip. I hunted five and a half days and went fishing for half a day. during the week I had shot opportunities at 4 deer, 3 of which came home with me. Here's the details.

Day 1 -I saw no deer that morning so we took a break for lunch. I took a nap since I had been driving the night before. My brother, who had shot a doe the evening before we got there told me to go out behind the barn and watch that field as there had been several groups of deer there for the last few days. Sure enough, several came out just before the end of shooting light. I zeroed in on the largest doe and pulled the trigger on my 7mm RM using 140gr Nosler BT's. The deer was at 325 yards. When I got the scope back on the spot, I saw what looked like a dark spot in the grass and a deer standing near where the deer I had shot at had been standing. Initialy thinking I had missed and shot under the deer, I aimed slightly higher and shot at the standing deer, an obvious miss. When I walked out to where the deer were standing, I found that the first deer had indeed been hit right where I was aiming and was the dark spot I had seen through the scope. What a great way to start the week.
Day 2 - nothing moving.
Day 3 - Hunted with my brother from a box stand looking over 2 fields. at 6:30 2 deer steped out at about 225 yards. 1 was an obvious buck (6 pointer) the other looked strange, it turned out to be a 4 pointer with 1 spike about 6" and a 2" nub with 3 points. My brother shot the 6 pointer and I shot the "freak" as my brother called it.
Day 4 - Hunted out of a tripod stand looking over another field. Had a good bodied small racked buck cross the field at about 7:30. This time I had my 30-30. the deer crossed at about 150 yards and stopped when he got to the other side of the field at about 160 yards. I over compensated on the first shot thinking I needed to hold a little high at that range. The second shot dropped him in his tracks.
Day 5 - went fishing (actually snagging) and mostly let the kids do most of the fishing. Both boys got to haul in a nice paddle fish each. One was about 15 pounds the other about 20 pounds. Hunted that afternoon but saw nothing.
Day 6 - nothing moving.

My 14 year old did get a shot at a deer but missed it. My 12 year old didn't see anything but enjoyed the outing.

The only thing I wanted to do but didn't was to get a deer with my muzzleloader. I never saw a deer while I was carrying it. Maybe next time.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:25 AM

Default RE: Fairly successful hunt.

congrats. sounds like you had a LARGE time.[8D]