Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
A Successful NY hunt!! >

A Successful NY hunt!!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

A Successful NY hunt!!

Old 11-18-2002, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default A Successful NY hunt!!

First off let me thank Cardeer, as I was wearing his necklace during this hunt. (I have to add that I had it on also the last weekend of bow season when I saw that nice 5 pointer, but did not get a shot)

Now the story....

Once again this year I was going it alone. A friend of mine backed out at the last minute, and my other friend has a place he has been going to with his dad for many years. So here I am on Sunday morning, the weather is bleak, its raining and the forecast is not any better for opening day. I'm thinking to myself, is it really worth it to drive 120 miles alone, and spend a few days by myself with nobody to talk to or hang out with, and hunt in the rain? I said yes! Its gotta be better than sitting home. So I'm off.....

I get to my destination (a little B&B in the Catskills), only to find out that the ice storm has taken out the power and heat in the house, and the old lady is nowhere to be found!! Just my luck...now I have to try and find a hotel room the night before opening day. I finally find one (AMAZING! That would not be the case years ago) about 10 miles from the property I am hunting. I finally decide to hit the bed about 11:30pm, I take one last look out side and the rain is coming down good...not having a good feeling going to bed.

I wake up about 5am Monday morning and I get a great surprise...the rain has changed to snow, and now I have a fresh coating of about 4 inches. The only problem is now there are 20mph wind gusts. I am feeling miserable about this time. I get to my hunting spot about 5:45am, and the wind is howling and ice is everywhere. I'm saying to myself, "what the hell am I doing this for"? I decide not to trek to my treestand for fear of the steps being all iced up and dangerous, so I grab my folding stool and decide to sit in some hardwoods just behind the house about 30 yards in from a field. I find a spot put my stool down, sit...and WHAM!!! the leg bends and breaks sending me on my ass!!!! NOW I'M PISSED!!! I'm alone, wet, its winding, conditions just are not good. Its about 6:20am now. I clear out a spot on the ground, take out the tube, give a few grunts, and hit the rattle bag. I check my watch its now 6:40am. I turn to look around and I'm staring a deer right in the face. It had to be 15 yards away, and it was coming right towards me!! WHERE THE HELL DID IT COME FROM? I could hear anything with the snow and all, so I figured I came thru the field, somebody across the road must have spooked him over. He's now closing the distance and he's only 6 yards. He actually lowers his head to sniff at my backpack. I'm thinking holy ****..I'm gonna get this bastard! There has not even been a shot fired yet. I'm gonna get the first deer of the Southern Zone season!! He walks past me at about 5 yards, I raise and aim in one motion..and BAM!!! I hit him just behind the shoulder midway down from the back. He falls..rolls over..jumps up....and runs about 15yards before going down for good. I can't believe it!!

I got my second buck. It was a spike, about 150lbs. Looked like an older deer though. I new there where better bucks in the area, but with the poor conditions, and not wanting to be shut out another season I took him.

I'll post some pics when I get the film back....

Sorry for the long story, but I need to tell somebody!!! Thanks!
Old 11-18-2002, 04:24 PM
jf5

Default RE: A Successful NY hunt!!

Great story. Sometimes overcoming adversity can pay off. Congrats!
Old 11-19-2002, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Catskill, your opener went a heck of alot better then mine. I hunted all day yesterday, and until 11am this morning. I never saw 1 single deer!! I sat most of yesterday, and walked good 3miles today. The woods wasn't really safe at all yesterday. I heard several tree's come crashing down, and limbs falling all over. Today was better, but started out little colder. Maybe I'll get lucky this coming wknd. Personally I'm not big fan of slug throwers, much rather still be bowhunting!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2002, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go NYers! My brother shot 4pt Monday up in Stamford and my Dad and him are now up in Triangle,NY. I'm staying in NJ for the time being and am fired up that my brother got a nice deer. 4pt and dressed at 150lbs!

Hunting the wilds of Jersey
Old 11-20-2002, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Way to stick with it Catskill! Like I said "Everything happens for a reason" Congrats on a great (however short) hunt.

10 Pointers
Old 11-20-2002, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great story! Thanks for the details, it makes for good reading. Congratulations!
Old 11-22-2002, 09:08 AM
bjk

Great job...conditions were a bit bleek for the opener, but it makes it that much better when you come out on top. Even with the bad weather I had deer moving around me. Some were pushed, but the 6 i put away wasn't on the move. In fact, it appeared as though he was out looking for does. Quite a few deer came through early on the move, though. The opener and the first weekend are great if you get up early and get in deep. Nothing like having a couple thousand deer drivers working for you...

Congrats again!
Old 11-26-2002, 10:00 AM

hey if the necklace from cardeer works, why didnt you shoot a boone and crocket massive 12 pointer? spike that weighs 150? hmmm be lucky to get a 10 pointer that size in the catskills. did we really have to read though your boring story too?
Old 11-27-2002, 10:41 AM
tdf

gutemgood,
Its nice to hear from people like you. Most of your kind can not read. And maybe I am mistaken but nobody forced you to read a "boring story" but maybe your sister was busy and your right hand was tired.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:27 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
gutemgood,
Its nice to hear from people like you. Most of your kind can not read. And maybe I am mistaken but nobody forced you to read a &quot;boring story&quot; but maybe your sister was busy and your right hand was tired.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

No TDF, I have no sisters but I wrote that while banging your mother's smelly C**t while your father watched.

Quick Reply: A Successful NY hunt!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.