Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Binds vs. Tree Stands

Old 11-29-2005, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Binds vs. Tree Stands

I was just curious how many people preferred stands to blinds? I have both but seem to prefer my blind. It allows more movement without being detected AND it's a perfect way to take my young sons hunting with me.

The blind also contains my scent better and keeps the rain/snow/wind off me. The most important thing though is if I fall asleep, I only fallout of my chair to the ground....not 15-20 feet !!

How many others like blinds????

Old 11-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Binds vs. Tree Stands

it's a perfect way to take my young sons hunting with me.
I'll agree with that. That's the best use for them.

I use them because I love the challenge of getting a deer within bowrange on the ground. I don't know about allowing more movement though. It's very tough to get to full draw on a mature buck from the ground without him busting you.

It's also a good option for areas that simply have no trees for a stand. I don't mind them, but I think the odds are better 20 feet in the air.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

i prefer tree stands because much of the area I hunt has a thick underbrush up to about 10 feet
Old 11-29-2005, 09:23 AM

I LIKE THEM BOTH IVE SEEN BIG BUCKS OUT OF GROUND BLINDS BUT HAVE SEEN MORE OUT OF TREESTANDS. I FEEL LIKE I CAN SEE THE DEER BETTER OUT OF TREESTANDS.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

I admit this is my first year deer hunting, although I've talked to deer hunters for years. It seems that you would get busted alot more sitting in the tree with NO COVER, rather than behind a blind that the deer are "used" to seeing there.

I also like the blind because.
1. It keeps the wind off and helps with scent control.
2. It keeps the rain/snow off.
3. If you are still, you canmove without being detected.
4. They are alot easier to setup/move than a stand.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. It keeps the wind off and helps with scent control.
I agree with a blind helping keep the wind off but when hunting a blind you still need to pay attention to wind direction. IMO scent control iseasier in an elevated tree stand because your scent is already above a deers nose.

2. It keeps the rain/snow off.
I agree 100%. Ihave a portable umbrella that I caninstallwhilein my tree stand that will keep me dry enough to stay in the stand comfortably.

3. If you are still, you canmove without being detected.
Do not agree with that at all. How can you be still but yet move? I have made moves in a tree stand before, at bow ranges in order to take a shot.

4. They are alot easier to setup/move than a stand
This is personal opinion. I have a climbing stand that I can carry in and out with me, climb to my desired height with very little trouble. I also have used hang on stands with climbing sticks and they work well too. Once you learn how to hang tree stands it becomes easier.

I will also agree with you that a blind is an excellent way to take your kids with you hunting. I have a two man ladder stand that I use when I want to take my 6 year old son hunting with me. It is very easy for him to get into, is safeand he enjoys hunting out of a tree like daddy! Everyone has their own style of hunting but I most definately prefer to hunt from a tree!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

The most important thing though is if I fall asleep, I only fallout of my chair to the ground....not 15-20 feet !!

Good point and exactly why anyone who hunts from a tree stand should wear a good quality safety harness!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoosier_Hunter1963

It seems that you would get busted alot more sitting in the tree with NO COVER.....
The trick is finding a tree with cover to break up your outline. I like both, trees and blinds. Both have a place. Neither work all the time.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

i think i blind would be better because keeps rain and snow away and you can stay dryer then in a tree stand even if you have a umbrella cause if the wind is blowing alittle it will go under the umbrella and if you have kids you can sit them on the ground of the blind and they can move with out being seen throughthe windows i also like a blind because you can bring your kids and be comfortable together in a tree stand theres no room for a kid and its dangerous. but a tree stand does get you up higher andyou have a good veiw and can see the seer quickly and you are abnove the deers noses but i still like a blind better even tohugh i hunt from a treestand lol