Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Poll: Deer Hunting Capitol?

Old 11-28-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Poll: Deer Hunting Capitol?

Where is the deer hunting capitol of the world? My vote is for Pike Co, IL. First season totals are in....2340 deer harvestedduring the first 3 days.....
Old 11-29-2005, 08:14 AM

Default RE: Poll: Deer Hunting Capitol?

I've never hunted there, but Buffalo County, WI, is rather legendary...
Old 11-29-2005, 02:49 PM

waushara county, wisconsin
Old 11-29-2005, 03:13 PM

wisconsin period
Old 11-29-2005, 03:22 PM

archery or gun?
Old 11-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

I believe Illinois
Old 11-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know but I saw at least 150 deer the first week of hunting in South Dakota last week. These are big mule deer and there were plenty of nice bucks. I took six big does which I just finished processing today. The deer population is at or near an all time high. There is no public land in the unit where I hunt and its all farm country. North Dakota has a hugh deer population as well but these are mostly whitetails in the easter part of the state with Muke deer out west and in the Badlands. The whitetail here in the east are much smaller that the Mule deer out west but there is an endless supply of them in the slews and shelterbelts.

Most of the racks I see in pictures on this sight are pretty small horn wise to what we see out here(Mule Deer) that is. Eastern SD has some hugh whitetails in the Glacier Lakes units. There is a lot of Bow hunting in Eastern SD. Almost none out west on the prairie as shots are usually quite long in comparison..

I have hunted a little for deer in Montana and Wyoming but it was a quite of number of years ago. There is quite a bit of public land in the west of SD and ND. This is BLM land and forest service land. Hunting in the Black Hills of western SD is really good right now as well. Thats mostly public land. Much of Western SD is tied up in leases. Hope this report helps someone out.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

There are too many deciding factors in the question. I would say Kansas, Wisconsin, Illinios, Maine not in that order. I would much rather hunt in Illi than Maine in the early winter. Ifhad my choice it would be Kansas or Wisconsin then Illinois.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

I am from Illinois and in my opinion Illinois is overrated. Illinois has some nice bucks but so do all of the other midwestern states, not to mention Texas or those huge bucks in Canada. Those Pike County numbers are impressive for Illinois, but several other states feature counties with higher numbers during firearm season.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Fork Horn

Buffalo County Wisconsin, where I hunt. This legendary place is amazing, you don't really know until you hunt it yourself.

Quick Reply: Poll: Deer Hunting Capitol?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.