Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

michgan hunting

Old 11-26-2005, 10:54 PM

Default michgan hunting

hey guys i'm heading back up to my property in clare this coming weekend to do some more hunting havent been up there since the beginning of november when i landed a decent size doe with my bow. my question is what is everyone using to land a buck this time of year. to my understanding is the rut is over here in michigan. i was thinking about trying some of that c'mere deer. what do you guys think. any other ideas, calls, scents,????
Old 11-27-2005, 10:03 AM

Default RE: michgan hunting

anybody got any advice on what works during this time of year? thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The rut is deffinatley not over in Michigan. I had an oppurtunity at a 6 point that was chasing a doe yesterday night. (Saturday) It may last a long time yet depending on the weather and the deer in your area. Scent should work good this time of year if you can manage to find an area a buck is working. Good luck to you!
Old 11-27-2005, 06:27 PM

well thats good to hear, i'll definately try some scent then and maybe a doe bleat call. on the back part of my property earlier in the season iwas catching tons of pictures of buck activity making scrapes and revisiting the scrapes. hopefully there still there chasing does.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:13 PM

im not sure but i've heard from a friend that the hunting in the UP is real bad. said he got a 4pnt which is a trophy up there. anyways...good luck with huntin'. i've never used anything like that so i cant give any real advice.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:42 PM

yea i have been reading that the deer in michigan are migrating south in the jackson area, my place is located in the middle of the mitten hopefully i have some better luck. ive seen bucks on my property, caught on my moultre cam but they were all at night, nothing real huge either a 4,6,and 8 point. hopefully they start moving more during the day.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:54 PM

The second rut should be kick in soon.You may catch a big one crusin for does,try what ever you use in the pre-rut.I caught one skirting a small doe on wed. but he caught my scent.I will still try rattling soon.Good luck.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

second rut? next time you get a doeout ofthat areacut out it's glands and use them as your attractant. Was talking to my uncle who owns a couple of hunting property's one in s.c. and one in wyo. he will not allow any scent and/or attractant to be brought in because of it may not be a familar smell and may run off the deer. gonna stick w/ this method for now on. I live in Michigan (up where your pinky would be) and seems like every time I have used an attractant lately I have run deer out of the area..So I am anti sent attractant unless it comes from a deer that came from that area..what was your question again?,...just kidding....depending on the area there are several different ways you could expect to get a buck. good luck.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Chuck,
I live here in Jackson and you are telling the truth. Deer are starting to be known as rats with antlers. You cannot go more then 1 mile down any main road or highway without seeing deer lying on the side. We head up to Drummond Island for the camp friednships, but the hunting down here is intense. I even went out on some public land a couple times and saw at least 5 deer per trip.If you have the time up North, corn... corn... corn! When they find the food all else takes a back seat. Also, I read an article from the DNR about why the rut scents, rattling, etc... is not as effective in Northern Michigan. The article said the buck to doe ratio is so scewed on the doe side (5 times as many does as bucks) that bucks do not have to chase, fight, or run hard to find willing does. Therefore, most of the traditional buck luring tactics will be ineffective and infact these deer will run from them.If they do not have to fight to find a mate they won't. The article said to use bait as it will allow thebucks the best nutrition / food sources and still be around the does.
Hope this helps.