HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - michgan hunting
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Kathwacckkk
Fork Horn

Default RE: michgan hunting

Chuck,
I live here in Jackson and you are telling the truth. Deer are starting to be known as rats with antlers. You cannot go more then 1 mile down any main road or highway without seeing deer lying on the side. We head up to Drummond Island for the camp friednships, but the hunting down here is intense. I even went out on some public land a couple times and saw at least 5 deer per trip.If you have the time up North, corn... corn... corn! When they find the food all else takes a back seat. Also, I read an article from the DNR about why the rut scents, rattling, etc... is not as effective in Northern Michigan. The article said the buck to doe ratio is so scewed on the doe side (5 times as many does as bucks) that bucks do not have to chase, fight, or run hard to find willing does. Therefore, most of the traditional buck luring tactics will be ineffective and infact these deer will run from them.If they do not have to fight to find a mate they won't. The article said to use bait as it will allow thebucks the best nutrition / food sources and still be around the does.
Hope this helps.