Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
No Scent bombs have never worked for me.
27.27%
Yes I know for a fact Scent bombs work for me.
59.09%
I have no faith in deer lure and do not use them.
13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Do Scent Bombs REALLY work?

Old 11-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Do Scent Bombs REALLY work?

My poll question for the day is "Do Scent bombs" orBuck lurereally work? I would like to know your experiences with using your favorite Doe in heat ...Doe in Estrus ... Buck pee or whatever you have used ...has it really worked ... can you acctualy attribute a kill based on using a scent bomb ... and if so where did you place itand when did you use it in regards to the rut?

dd
Old 11-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do Scent Bombs REALLY work?

First of all I normally don't use scents of any kind. I perfer the deer not smell anything out of the ordinary while I'm hunting. That being said, this year I'm hunting an area where the neighbors are feeding deer on both sides of me so I haven't been seeing as many deer as I have in the past. With the rut in full swing I decided to get a bottle of Tinks 69 and use it their little orange scent canisters. Last Friday morning it was 18 degrees and I was in the stand by 7:30 and there was no wind. Around 10am there was a light breeze coming out of the southwest. I had placed 2 scent bombs in my shooting lanes and was just waiting to see if they would work. At 10:30 a nice 7 pointer came in like he was on a rope to one of the scent bombs and I put an arrow right behind his shoulder. I recovered him within 40 yards. That to me was proof enough that some of this stuff really works.
Old 11-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good Job ...thanks for the input ... have not had much responce on this question ..Im suprised.

dd
Old 11-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

i usually buy the cheap stuff like knight and halls scent bombs. they have worked in the past for me but not always, especially if the area is pressured hard. first day i ever went out i put out a scent bomb and had a spike sneak up to it only to receive a 16 Gage slug from my grandpas old Remington. i have rattled or called and put out scent. i think it's just one more factor to make the whole act seem more real. i use my special hot sauce on the active/mock scrapes and that really has been the best effect I've gotten out of scent. it seems to keep deer coming back to check the scrapes and keeps them from going other places.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess Im in the minority here but I can honestly say that whenever I am hunting in the prerut, rut, postrut, I use all kinds of stuff, Code Blue, Tinks, Knight and Hales, Primos the Can etc and have never had bucks come in to it. Im talking about hunting where I see 7-8 bucks a morning out cruising and none of them in the past 7-8 years has ever paid attention to my drag rag trail or wicks hanging from trees. When I roll my can over they may stop for a second but never change direction. I feel like at $7-12 a bottle (using a bottle/day) that Im just wasting my money. I still see and shoot bucks but never has it been a result of any type of lure.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the thing to keep in mind with scents and calls that they are only effective during a very short period of time duringdeer season. If you hit it right they work to the point you can't believe, and other times the deer pay no attention what so ever. I've had the best success in early pre-rut when the doe aren't quite ready, but the bucks are all primed to find that first hot doe. Once the doe come in it's harder to get a bucks attention when he is with a hot doe already.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best stuff I have ever used is KISS #1. It's a curiousity (sp?) scent and I have had numerable numbers of deer come in and sniff the stuff. Not to say that I've shot them always, but they do come into it. Opening day of archery I had two doestwo fawns come in to it (it actually pulled them 15 yds off the trail just to smell it) and stick their noses right in the canister.

Scents aren't the cure all, fix all solution to killing deer, but I do feel as though they have their place, and do help out.

DD: Just a quick note, but to me your question seems worded wrong. You ask if Scent Bombs work. And scent bombs are just little plastic bottles with cotton inside. They are ment to hold scent. So in that way they work fine. I believe you were trying to ask if scents work, and if you did that, I think you would get a different responce. Thats just my observation though.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:22 PM

I didnt vote, my response isnt listed...Sometimes....I was given a few cans of the doe in estrus to test out a few months back. First time I tried one had 2 bucks come in and put their nose right on the can. Second time nothing happened. 3rd and 4th times had does come in with a buck hot on her trail, both times the doe hit the scent bomb and got the hell out of dodge taking the buck with her. I think you need to make sure your using it at the right times, does do not like the doe in estrus scent and that can cost you bucks during the chasing phase.I agree with what White-tail-deer said, scent and calls at the right time can be great. The rest of the time your probaly doing more harm than good.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:44 PM

I have absolutely no faith in them! We set some up and the deer came up to it and sniffed it and then ran away! Blew us off also. We didn't see anything the rest of the year.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:58 PM

I was going to post something until I saw the pics above, GOSH, is that what the bucks look like in Indiana? Oyaa, I've had doe and buck come to scent wicks and sniff around, if you can attract does into your area than the Big Boy won't be far behind!!!

Never mind thisfirst part the pic above changed, I think

Quick Reply: Do Scent Bombs REALLY work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.