Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

splitting the pelvis

Old 11-24-2005, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: splitting the pelvis

heard of this technique but i would probably cut my fingers off. i use a saw and it is just a quick and a hell of a lot safer than a knife in my hands.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

T handle saw or sometines use a smallwire saw no problems with either.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

I use a hammer and a hatchet. Take the edge of the hatchet at an angle pointing toward you on the edge of the bone and use the hammer to drive the hatchet thru the bone - works excellent and if you don't want to dull a knife on the rib cage, the hatchet and hammer technique works well as well.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have split elk from end to end to half it with the hatchet method, it does work well also.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for all the post guys. several mentioned using a saw to go up the rib cage. I assume this is at the chest area. I use knife here also. I find the bottom of the sternum, and move off to the side alittle. The ribs are attached with cartlige here, and the knife goes thru easily. Go up both sides of the sternum, bend over to break the bone, and cut off with the knife. make alot easier to get to the wind pipe and lung diaphram. thanks again.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:18 PM

I don't split the pelvis or rib cage. I just cut a slit from the breast bone back large enough to get into the animal and do everything from there. It does get sort of messy that way though.

Paul
Old 11-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

i usually use a jigsaw...lol...it works great!! most recently my husband bought me a bone saw and clippers work great too.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:42 PM

I use a Sagen saw, it's just a small T-handle bone saw. Maybe find it on the puter.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wyoming Saw or Sagen Pelvis saw. The Sagen is extremely effective for this sole purpose, it also is small and inexpensive.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:16 AM

i am old fashioned and still use a carpenter's hand saw.i gut them in the woods and hang them on my skinning rack ay home.

Quick Reply: splitting the pelvis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.