Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

West Virginia first day

Old 11-22-2005, 04:17 PM

Default West Virginia first day

Well here is how my first morning went, a friend and I were sneaking out an old logging road around 830 monday morning. As we were talking I looked to the rigt and saw a deer coming right at us. We stopped and noticed that it was a small buck, seeing as how my freezer broke not long ago and I lost all of m deer meat and all of my new york strips.....the game was on. Anyway, this buck was walking along about 25 yards from us, nose on the ground not even paying any attention to us. I placed the cross hairs on the bucks shoulder and squeezed....nothing...oh, ok 3 stage safety on my new gun, oops my bad, flip safety to fire place cross hairs on shoulder and squeeze, just as the gun cracked I saw the buck step into a small rut and out from under my crosshairs.....missed...ok this buck is now going to the next county. WRONG, he never looked at us, he never slowed down or gained speed, kept right on walking. Work bolt, another round chambered and fire, this time the buck is quartering away, a little too much in hind sight, I missed, my fault, no questions. At this time I hear the familiar sound of my buddies .260 going off, he missed...at this time the buck is maybe 30 yards. I load another round, the deer turns 180 degrees going back the other direction, place crosshairs on should, squeeze trigger..and in the scope just a split second before I fired...I see the buck fall..which causes me to miss again. My buddy fired just a split second before me, I never heard the shot. This buck was apparently hot on a doe, he never looked at us, never ran, picked up speed or anything.
I didnt get the deer, my buddy did. I missed three times, he shot twice. Although he got the deer, I got the enjoyment of a great morning outdoors, a great morning hunting, a great time with a good friend, and thats what it is all about anyway isnt it? Taking a deer is just an added bonus as far as I am concerned.

Good luck and safe hunting y'all
Old 11-22-2005, 04:42 PM

Default RE: West Virginia first day

I got him yesterday!!!

Old 11-22-2005, 05:37 PM

Default RE: West Virginia first day

Man you cut your head off of the picture, Nice buck congrats