Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trophy Buck or Deer Meat????

Old 11-21-2005, 10:49 AM

Default RE: Trophy Buck or Deer Meat????

everybody i know hunts for the meat, and many people have no option, because they can't afford to buy much meat from the grocer, so they hunt deer for meat.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:21 AM

Meat only. The antlers have absolutely no interest for me. In our group, I'm always hoping that I don't see the "big buck" because I really wouldn't spend a cent having it mounted and it would bea conflict if it were a real trophy deer. On that point, I shoot the first and any legal deer I see to harvest the meat. I don't know if I'd let the huge trophy deer walk or not - to me it would still be meat on the hoof, but like I said, it would be an issue because I just wouldn't have it mounted. I have a nice set of moose antlers which I haven't even put on the wall. I don't even have a set of antlers although I've probably killed a dozen bucks and does in my life.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: davester

Harvestdoe for meat. Let your bucks grow up. You'll find the little spikes and forks are really curios and sometimes it's hard not to but you should'nt. You still have plenty of time.
How do you know how much time we have? Why should those of us who are hunting strictly for meat not take the first legal deer? Why should we pass a young buck just so it "might" grow up for a trophy for you? That risks not seing another legal deer within our time constraints. I don't believe in letting any legal deer walk by because the only legitimate purpose (for me) is meat, not antlers.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:36 AM

Meat is a trophy, along with the memory of the whole season for myself. I let the small racks go by. Thinking of a Mister "big" keeps me returning each season. I'll take a doe or two late in the season for the dinner table. The longer I can make the season the more enjoyable. Good luck to all this season! HARLEYBUCK
Old 11-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt for the meat and the company of good friends. Horns mean a bit less than nothing to me. I would rather have the meat from the does. If I ever saw a real Monster that would be a real trophy anywhere then I might consider taking a buck. Shooting a buck just to say I shot a buck, makes no sense to me and taking non mature bucks makes even less sense.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Fork Horn

I just love to hunt. It's an opportunity to spend time with my dad and just get away from everything. It's sitting in a deer stand and freezin your butt off. It's swattin at mosquitoes bigger than small birds (we got big oness here in east texas). Sometimes it's not the shootin but just gettin out there and trying and being in the great outdoors. It's trailing a deer forever through seemingly impassable brush and then experiencing the satisfaction of finding and harvesting the animal. I'll shoot a doe like I did today, but I just don't think ther is anything like having a big buck show up out of no where and the adrenaline rush, and the fever, then executing a clean shot. It's just like nothing else. No I don't shoot young bucks if I can, let them grow.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt for meat and excitement. I am satisfied to take a doe or two each season. I will shoot a buck if the opportunity arises but that is not my priority.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:43 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Bloodstayn

Why do most people hunt? I am more in it for the thrill and for the meat.
That's me exactly . My wife isn't an anti though , she'll eat venison in a New York minute .
Old 11-22-2005, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Where I hunt we only have one tag! It really sucks!
I usually hold up for a buck but if the season is almost over(1 or 2 days left I'd shoot a doe.)

SH