Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

next generation of hunters

Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 PM

Default RE: next generation of hunters

I think the further south you go, more kids are into hunting. Different set of ideals, more conservative ideals. Some of the liberal ideals make me sick.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:05 PM

out here in the country, hunting is most kids lives. most of us live, breath, and sleep hunting. but once u start getitng into the city, (where i go to school) hunting is about as popular as watching paint dry.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:12 PM

Chicago = fart. Very few people in my neighborhood hunt at all. I know only a few. When I tell them I will be going hunting and they seem like they just saw a ghost! "You hunt?"
Old 11-17-2005, 04:19 PM

Well, down here it is a religion. Everyone I know hunts. My english teacher comes to me today and says "you should quit killing those poor bambis." What the hell is the world comin too? In the famous words of Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:45 PM

I live in Ellijay--north of Atlanta, and I know what you mean. i took my buck by my oldest son's work on my way home monday. he works off h'way 92 in Woodstock, and I got quite a few stop 'n lookers' who had many positive things to say--many of which were in high school. Here is a pic of my youngest, who is already a 'convert'!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:19 PM

I live metrowest of Boston. There a lot more people that hunt than I expected. But still, there are very few hunters to non-hunters here just like you guys in the city say.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

nope, not here. grew up in farmland in upstate new york and all my friends talked about was sports, sex and parties. got back from the service and got into hunting. none of my friends are really into it. the only one that is remotely lives in Connecticut and he comes back home once or twice a year. yep I'm afraid my friend that hunting is a dieing sport and tradition. hell the other day on the news they did a report on opening day and they claim that the average age of a new york state hunter is 49. we'll that does stink for the sport but it also means less people in the woods when i hunt and more deer to bag
Old 11-23-2005, 01:36 AM
Typical Buck

its still like that here in Central Illinois. there is a small cafe where about two dozen hunters all stroll in around 10-11 am......its a neat thing, everyone knows everyones name, and where they hunt, and usually if the buck is a nice one, many of the ppl know which buck it was as well. yep, i would say its still like that here, lots of talk about spreads, and mass, and rut.......God's lingo if you ask me.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:51 AM

I'm out in rural GA. and most of my sons friends don't hunt to much. My son (18) doesn't even like to huntand he likes to fish. My daughter (16) likes to go with me sometimes. Thou now that she liking the boys it's kinda hard to get her to go with me. She does alwyas meet me when I come home from hunting, ask alot about what I seen and is always the first one to come, look at what I bring home. She does help me process my deer in cutting and vacuum sealing for the ice box. She also is the first to the help me prepare the meal of venison. She said she might come out with me Thanksgiving morning which would really make me happy. Even If she don't atleast the thought was there on her part.
I try not to push my own kids into something they don't feel like doing. I noticed alot of folk seem to go fishing than hunting around my area. Thou there are alot that do go hunting. I'm still trying to get my wife to come out with me...but she is a really big fishin woman fan. She does support me in my hobby of hunting and buys me all kinds of gadgets to use.
I still ask each if they would like to go everytime that I head out to the woods. It can't hurt asking and 1 day I believe the wife will come out with me. When that day gets here, I will make it the most pleasurable day of hunting I ever had to be sure she is comfortable.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:12 AM

We get the Wall Street Journal where I work and so sometimes I'll read it on my lunch break. A few weeks ago, they had a good, lengthy feature article on hunting that portrayed hunters in a positive light. The article concluded that fewer people are hunting these days but more money is being spentthan ever before on hunting gear. It also said many hunters are fed up with the NRA and its obsession over handgun rights and that the organization's time could be better spent on hunting rights and lobbying to get more public lands open to hunters.

That said, I'm building a permanent stand on our land next year in the hope that my wife will go shotgun hunting with me. I prett much exclusively bowhunt now and she definitely doesn't have the patience for that. But I figure if I can take her out for a morning or two as her guide and get her to tag a deer, she'll want to do it every year. And then the whole family can be involved when my one year old son is old enough.