Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

mounting head

Old 11-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default mounting head

I never gotten a buck. My plan is my first one I get going to mount the head. How far down the neck should you cut off?
Old 11-17-2005, 08:31 AM

Default RE: mounting head

Cape him out well past the shoulder so the taxidermist will have plenty to work with for a good shoulder mount. Keep at it and you will eventually get your buck. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you have a real good taxidermist, take the deer to him complete with full hide, make sure when you gut the deer though you dont slit all the way through the chest. Most taxidermists will do this for you as long as you get the mount done by him or her.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

When we bring one to the taxidermist we skin it without cutting the hide in half so the taxidermist gets the entire skin. We don't slit up the back either we just ease it down over the neck as far as we can skin, then cut off the head with a saw and bring it to him.

At a guided hunt I was on last year, the guides caped out an elk and cut the hide several inches behind the front legs.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is what we do also, roll it up the neck as far as you can and saw the neck. Once we start at the back, we do not cut anymore. We do cut at teh front knee joint.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

I bring the whole hide connected to the head as mentioned above. I do slit the chest and the taxidermist says it is no trouble to sew it up.