Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Baiting

Old 11-14-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Deer Baiting

I came here to share a story that happened to my buddy over deer opener.

We have had permission to hunt on a piece of property since Sept and that carried over into rifle hunting season here in MN. My buddy came up friday night to bowhunt, and came upon two guys and their kids baiting deer with corn and apples. They had permission to hunt, but the baiting was just INSANE - huge piles of corn and apples.

So, he called me up and asked what I would do. Personally, I take great offense to baiters. I know in some states, its legal, but personally, I think its lame as hell. Where I hunt this time of year, food is not abundant and deer are starting to enter their winter famine. This bait is just not something they will avoid, and it creates a hugely unfair environment. What really set matters off is the fact that these jerkasses were teaching their young kids that not only is this acceptable, it is preferable. God only knows how hard it is to sit out in the cold all day WAITING for a deer to come by. Too bad they had to learn that hunting is really about instant gratification.

Fortunately, I persuaded him to notify the CO, and to our great amusement this article shows up in last sunday's Star Trib. Here is the link, with the picture of the dude's kid IN THE STAND. Hahaha!

http://www.startribune.com/stories/533/5722402.html

All I can say is too damn bad. I am saddened that his fine was only ~$200, this year they are talking about making the penalties much harsher. I have seen so much unethical behavior in the woods this past 2 weeks that I am seriously considering quitting rifle hunting altogether. From the baiting, to shining, to shooting deer from the road, trespassing, confrontations, etc... to hell with it.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:52 PM

Default RE: Deer Baiting

I knew a guy who baited a black bear up on Lake Superior back in the 70's whenI lived up there. He was a wealthy person too. He shot it then kept the meat etc. No class! You see it in everything though nowdays. No manners. No class. It's the times we live in. Don't let it make you give up what you like doing though.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:10 PM

Ohio's department of fish and game says that they have done studies, and that hunting over bait showed NO increase in likelyhood of taking a deer.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

I am surprised ODNR reported no increase in the likely hood of taking a deer. But this argument to me is a little moot. I mean I don't "bait" but how far off is it that I plant a field of Clover and BioLogic and place my stand right over it. Do I see anything unethical about it... Not really... It is legal... How different is that than putting out a bag of corn. Matter of fact I bet they would eat the clover/biologic over the corn anyway. I also make mineral concoctions to feed my deer, but I don't hunt over those licks.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:45 PM

I was too...it's in the handbook they give away when you buy your license...somewhere towards the back.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Corn, apples, pumpkins, sex lures, mineral licks, food plots, agriculture fields, etc. Its all baiting in some way, it just depends on whose foot is being stepped on.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: happyannie

I knew a guy who baited a black bear up on Lake Superior back in the 70's whenI lived up there. He was a wealthy person too. He shot it then kept the meat etc. No class! You see it in everything though nowdays. No manners. No class. It's the times we live in. Don't let it make you give up what you like doing though.
Is bear baiting illegal in that state? It is a common and accepted practice in many places. It doesn't appeal to me personally (I have no interest in killing abear and have no interest in the baiting thing). But it is not an unusual way to hunt black bears.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:32 PM

I mean I don't "bait" but how far off is it that I plant a field of Clover and BioLogic and place my stand right over it. Do I see anything unethical about it... Not really... It is legal...
You cant be serious.

Baiting is a selfish act that only benefits the unethical person doing it. Going to the effort of providing the entire deer herd with beneficial nutrition all year long is quite different. That is why it is legal to hunt next to a corn field but not over a pile of corn.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:35 PM

Corn, apples, pumpkins, sex lures, mineral licks, food plots, agriculture fields, etc. Its all baiting in some way, it just depends on whose foot is being stepped on.
This has nothing to do with stepping on any feet. It has to do with what is right and what isnt. Poaching is ok, its killing a deer why does it matter if I buy a tag or not?

Its that same selfish attitude that applies, and is equally ridiculous. The game hunting laws are what they are for a reason, and that is for the greater good of everyone and the deer herd.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

In NC baiting deer is perfectly legal...Does that mean that all NC hunters that bait are unethical and selfish???

Quick Reply: Deer Baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.