Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

where Do I Look Now???

Old 11-14-2005, 04:50 PM

Default where Do I Look Now???

I was deer hunting today and was really just moving around the area looking for some new sign.I just happened to walk upon a great buck there was alot of sign in there where he was like rubs everywhere and a couple of scrapes freash.But anyway he is using the area and i got a good shot and i missed my shot he ran off snorting a couple of times.I want to ask someone if they know whether he will return to this area and how long do you think it will be if he does come back?Any help would be great??THANKS[X(]
Old 11-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: where Do I Look Now???

if there is a hot doe around chances are he'll be back. the problem with deer when u spook them is once the sun goes down they know it's safe to walk around. i hunt public land and right know it's tuff cause it's been warm, there has been hunters out every weekend and the deer are feeling the pressure DURING THE DAY. i went back there to these clover fields and use a high powered red lens light and there they are, all of them. they see the light, not me so to speek and they just hang out and don't even panic. so its hard to say when will he be back could be tomarrow could be next week. scout the are cautiously and don't leave to much sign u were there. u could get lucky and find him millin around on the outskirts of the are. good luck

THE FOOT
Old 11-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

I have noticed here lately that they tend to spook for just a couple of days, even in daylight hours. Good luck to you and let us know if you get him.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:52 PM

He will be there in the morning again.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:31 PM

Thanks for all help you all i been back there twice and havent even seen a deer stayed there all day nothing.Well someone else might have put the lead to him i dont know but i do know one thing who ever gets that one will be happy go lucky[8D]

Thanks
Old 11-18-2005, 02:42 PM

Tips I would give...try hunting that spot again but use hot doe estrous scent to try to attract him. If you can, hunt all day, if not, make sure you get to the stand in the afternoon (about 1 PM) and stay the full 30 minutes after dark.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Spike

Stay put and place yourself downwind of the scrapes! Right now is the perfect time to be hunting over scrapes, and the fact that you found some indicates that there is a buck in the area and he's 'lookin'! You've found the right area, so stay close by and limit your movements.
The key IMHO is to be about 100yds downwind, and if you wanted to try some doe-in-heat lures, place them near the scrapes and upwind of you. Any mature buck will 'scent check' his scrapes by coming in slightly downwind, which should put you in a good position.
Good luck!