Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Morgan County GA 13pt

Old 11-17-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Morgan County GA 13pt

Shot this one last night.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:17 PM

Default RE: Morgan County GA 13pt

Nice buck, that's a mounter for sure!! Cool stand too!!!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

congratulations!!! Nice buck!
Old 11-17-2005, 01:56 PM

great buck!
Old 11-17-2005, 02:33 PM

Nice, is there a story to go with it?

Paul
Old 11-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Good Job! Congrat's!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Great buck Got a story

Old 11-18-2005, 02:37 AM
Fork Horn

Nice picture!! Congrats on the nice Buck!! Share some details of the hunt. A buck like that has got to have a story!!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

CONGRATS on a super buck ..GREAT job !

dd

Old 11-18-2005, 09:29 AM

Ok -here's thestory. The night of the hunt it was extremely windy, 15-20 mph gusts in the direction of where I was hunting, so I almost got out of the stand and went home. As I was getting ready to leave I noticed a doe standing about 100 yds in front of me. Five minutes later, a button buck came in and run the doe off. Soon after that a six point came to where the deer wereand followed the path that they ran off on. At this point I decided to stay put. Thirty minutes before dark a small doe came out 50yds in front of me. I got situated in my stand to get ready for a shot in case something came to chase her around. Sure enough this buck came in grunting going right for her. When I saw this buck, I new he was a good one but not no where near as big as he actually was. I shot him, what I felt like was a good hit, in the shoulder and he ran off. As he ran off I took another shot at him just to make sure.

Now comes the story. I found a pool of blood immediately where I shot the first time. I tracked the deer and found a big hunk of meat where I shot the second time. I figured this deer would die within a few yards. I tracked another 100 yds following a heavy blood trail until it got pitch black and my light was getting dim. I decided to head home and give the deer time to die and come back with my buddy who has a tracking dog.

When we got back to where I shot, the dog picked up the trail immediately and took off. This was as good and rabbit hunting listening to this beagle yelp and run. The trail went for about another 400yds until we found the deer. This is where it gets good. When the dog got to the, what we thought was a deaddeerit jumped up on it hind legs and started stomping the dog.The deer didn't attack us but we weren't taking any chances. Mybuddy shot the deer with a glock 45four timesto finish it off.

When we drug the deer back to my truck we checked andI had made a clean shoulder shot on the deer but my bullet did not even break this deers shoulder. My second shot seemed to havehit the deer on the opposite shoulder doing minimal damage.

I shoot a 7mm08and generally take shoulder shots to expedite the recoveryprocess. No more! - for now on I'm a lung heart guy.I guess on big deer this bullet isn't powerful enough to break bone.

The deer weighed 150 lbs field dressed and I scored him at 151 non-typical.

Two words of advice
1: No shoulder shots on any deer over 100 lbs or get a bigger gun than a 7mm08.
2:Approach a deer as if it is alive at all times because it may jump up and scare the crap out you or worse.

Quick Reply: Morgan County GA 13pt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.