Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck/Doe Ratio

Old 11-11-2005, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default Buck/Doe Ratio

I have hunted small game for many years, but recently got into deer hunting. I live in northern Indiana. It seems here that the buck/doe ratio is really out of whack. You see does ALL the time, but very few bucks.

Common since says that the ratio should be about the same if the does have fawns of 50% male / 50% female. I know that we haven't been able to take does here until recently, but still the ratio shouldn't be this bad.

Why is this?

Old 11-11-2005, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buck/Doe Ratio

Swanny,

I understand what you are saying. But does have been allowed to be taken with Bow and Smoke Poles, but even with all the bucks taken. I can't imagine the ratio being THIS out of whack. Could does have a larger % of females?

About the "dip-sticks" shooting anything that walks by their stands. To each their own. Not everyone is looking for something to sit on the couch and admire. There are many stages of hunters out there. My teenage son has yet to kill a deer, nor have I. IF he is a dip-**** for shooting anything that comes past his stand, then he's definetly my kid !!

I personally hope that the big buck deer where we are hunting,stands brood-side 20 yards left of his stand.....if not he would be really excited to smack down a smaller buck.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: swanny evans

sounds like ga to me lol. you said yourself that you havent been able to shoot does until recently so everyones been shooting bucks. Its the same way in ga what really pisses me off is some dip****s shoot anything thatwalk by their stand and then all the small bucks get taken out and are not able to grow.
Same problem in Alabama and Tennessee ...seems everyone is Rack hunting ... I love big bucks to but I think the state should make you take two doe's for every buck ... that would help the ratio get back into balance ..

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 11-11-2005, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

I could understand that Dr.

Can I ask 1 question from you?

What exactly does the TIDE roll in? (I've always wanted to know that !!)

Old 11-11-2005, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

WOW ...thats a question that I would understand a guy from Indiana not understanding (unless he's Cathloic) ....The Tide "Rolls" in "TRADITION" ... 12 National Championships ....

DD
Old 11-11-2005, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted state land here in Texas that is managed by by the state. 18,000 acre high fenced area. We hunt there on youth hunts almost every year, the youth are only alowed a doe and a spike. One year they told us they had near a perfect 1-1 doe ratio so does would not be alowed but spikes would. The very next year they said they had a 13-1 ratio. Pretty wild for that to happen in just one year.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

ORIGINAL: swanny evans

sounds like ga to me lol. you said yourself that you havent been able to shoot does until recently so everyones been shooting bucks. Its the same way in ga what really pisses me off is some dip****s shoot anything thatwalk by their stand and then all the small bucks get taken out and are not able to grow.
Same problem in Alabama and Tennessee ...seems everyone is Rack hunting ... I love big bucks to but I think the state should make you take two doe's for every buck ... that would help the ratio get back into balance ..

ROLL TIDE
DD

10-4,Good Buddy!
Old 11-11-2005, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Dr. D,

I am just messin with ya. I know how serious you take football down there. About as serious as we used to take basketball up here. We don't anymore for OBVIOUS reasons. [:@]

When was the last of those "12"?

By the way, we'd like to send your basketball coach home, where would you like him sent?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

here in southern indiana its normal to go out spotlighting and see 200 deer, with only 5-10 being bucks. A guy with the DNR told me that they determine the ratio with the number of buck/doe kills each year...and that the ratio is about 50/50... YEAH RIGHT! I complained about the buck/doe ratio last year and they have since changed the bag limits on the doe population. FOR EXAMPLE: in Vanderburgh county you are allowed 4 doe tags PLUS 4 bonus antlerless tags. This means that you are allowed to take 8 does in that county. I know its urban reduction, but that seems to be about what its going to take for any equality in the ratio to be fixed. Here in perry county we are allowed to take 2 does and 1 buck. a few years back we could only harvest a doe during the last 4 days of the season. Maybe they are starting to realize that the number of does are outnumbering the buck by a large number. If you dont believe it, go spotlighting and count them. you will see 100 doe to 5-10 bucks... so the ratio is more like 1/10. just try it sometime... SPOTLIGHTING IS LEGAL IN INDIANA.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:27 PM

around here, does/bucks= 12/1