Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Large Rubs?

Old 11-08-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Large Rubs?

Hey everyone this is my first post in this forum. I am 15 years old, and I have been trying to scrounge up as much info as I can. The only think I want to do is breathe hunting.

Just recently I was reading a book that claimed that there are some very rare rubs that are found on large cedar trees. The author claimed the tree he witnessed was approx. 10" in diameter. Anyway the author claims that if you find one of these large rubs that you should hunt it, because other bucks of similar, or larger size are suppost to travel towards this rub to rub it themselves! I was wondering if anyone had any information on this type of event, and if you might be able to imitate one with your own set of antlers, and some forhead gland scent.

Thanks, and Good Huntin'
Old 11-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Large Rubs?

IN MY EXPERIENCE A LARGE TREE RUB IS USUALLY STARTED BY A BIG GUY , HOWEVER THESE LARGE CEDAR TREES ACT AS SIGN POSTS BETTER PUT AS SCENT POSTS, BUCKS OF ALL SIZES WILL RUBIT TO LEAVE THEIR OWN SCENT THERE, ITS GETTING A LITTLE LATE IN THE RUT TO HUNT RUBS THOUGH
Old 11-08-2005, 07:43 PM

Its not late in the rut here in Missouri, its just gettin started. I found 12 rubs today that were a few days old..and 2 scrapes. rifle season starts saturday!
Old 11-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can make mock rubs or scrapes but the key element is the deer must be using the area in the first place. I love seeing rubs but the really are only an indication to me of movement/activity. Here we see lots of rubs that are either along or the way(near) food sources, while a good indicator they really don't make me want to set up camp. Instead I start following them back in the transition area looking for a rubline with scrapes associated to it and I want to see rublines on either sides of the tree (meaning if travelling N/W I see rubs and when travelling S/E I also see rubs...this indicates a pattern of travel to the area beyond his bedroom). Once I find this I begin to get excited and thinking about how the deer is interacting within thearea. If this area offers safety I will hunt it, in the location that gives me as much advantage as possible. At this point I would place your mock techniques of scrapes, rubs, scent drips or rattling/calling, if you desire.

As to large based tree rubs, they can mean a big deer but don't assume!This season I witnessed a small buck working over fence posts andthen witnessed a larger buck beating the heck out of the saplings and small based poplars. I look for the hieght in which the branches are broken off above the rub itself for a better clue, but the only true way is witnessed. Like mentioned other deer will visit/use rubs and scrapes.

Best of luck!