Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What would you do

Old 11-07-2005, 05:14 AM

Default What would you do

OK I live out in the country, we see deer all the time, that is no problem. The deer population is picking up in my area, cause I live next to a management area that was sold, and they are building a sub division...I hate that. So deer is picking up here for our viewing pleasures.

But here is the thing. We now have coyotes, foxes, raccoons, (which doe snto really bother me) but we have also seen boars, bears, and we have heard a cougar (I never want to hear that again, first time I had ever heard one and it sent chills down my spine)

I have a 3yr old nad a 13 yr old. My 13 yr old, walks through 5 acres of our friends property to catch the school bus. This monring he came running back banging on the door for me to take him, he had seen the bear. I have also told him that the animals are more afriad of him, then he is of them. But that he needs to be careful. It is now bother us and our friends as they have a 4 yr old. We knwo that boars are me and we have discussed shooting the bears and boars, but just not sure about it. There is a law here that if the animals are messing with our gardens we can get a permit to shoot. BUt the deer are messing with the gardens and well we plant stuff for hte deer.

What would you do in this situation? Thanks
Old 11-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What would you do

Start taking your son to the bus stop in the car and wait until he's on the bus , and enjoy your new hunting opportunities . You've probably always had foxes , coons , and 'yotes , you just didn't see them . The cougars and bear are a real concern , keep your eyes on the kids whenever they're outside .
Old 11-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree w/ kevin1, you're right to be concerned.
Most animals are more afraid of us but that is
not always a good thing. Add in the displacement
of these large predators from their normal habitat
and this could be a problem. Watch those kids and
get all the permits you can.

God bless & good hunting.

PK
Old 11-07-2005, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Start taking your son to the bus stop in the car and wait until he's on the bus , and enjoy your new hunting opportunities . You've probably always had foxes , coons , and 'yotes , you just didn't see them . The cougars and bear are a real concern , keep your eyes on the kids whenever they're outside .

Totally Agree!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:30 AM

That is what I was thinking. I am also worried about my dog and my kids and the threat of rabid aniimals. HOw common is rabid animals. I have rarely heard of it, although I did have to go through rabie shots a few years ago...UGH that was awful.

I have made sure my son knows to never run. Atleat I was told if you run, they will chase you. I have also been told that if they smell fear you are in trouble, but I am not sure how much truth there is to.

We live on a small dead end dirt rd. We are surrounded by all our childhood friends (yes it is great) we all grew up together, went to school together and moved in the same are. Between all of us, there are 5, we have about 15 acres of land. We have a total of 5 children, boys, ages 7 months to 13 yrs taht we once though could run around freely. Now we do not do that, they do not go out unless we are. It is sad in away, you move out here and think everything is safe and now we have to be worried about wild animals. I mean we always head deer.

One of our friends child, he is 10. He saw something that scared him. Funny thing is, when he described it, it sounded just like a black panther. I did not think we had them here. The guy has found claw marks in trees around the house and tracks that could be cougar, but the boy describe a black panther.

Funny. THe only thing I ever worried about were snakes. We are all checking into permits and we are all calling DNR to discuss this with them. IF they are gonna sell there land, then they need to have something set up for the residents that border tha land, that are now having problems.

Old 11-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

The black panther is probably a figment of his imagination or a bear that he just caught a glimpse of. I live in central missouri and there have been numerousdocumented sightings of blackbears in our area and quite a few people have claimed to see black panthers. I'm pretty surethat all they saw was a bear iin the distance or shadows and they let their imagination run.If there are more reports from older more reliable witnesses you may ask the DNR to come remove the cougars and bears and whatever else is around to a less populated area.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:58 AM

That is what we were all thinking. We all hunt, so we are aware of animals and all that, we can get some permits, the guys are going to check into those soon. I am calling DNR today to see what they say. Only thing is the guy who has this are, we know him and he is a big jerk.