Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Question about hunting age and a few more things. >

Question about hunting age and a few more things.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about hunting age and a few more things.

Old 11-08-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Question about hunting age and a few more things.

Hey there, I just wanna know your opinions on a few things. I'm 16 and i'll be getting my hunting/bow license soon, not for this hunting season but the next. I'll be 16 turning 17 come next season. There's a public place around my house about 45 min away which you have to make reservations for and you get assigned a spot. It really is like the only place on the island to hunt which is public (it's run by the state). Now my real question would they let me hunt alone on weekdays when no one can hunt with me? My mom would drive me and my dad would pick me up but they both said it would be fine but would they let me? I'd say i'm pretty responsible and wouldn't do anything stupid. This is in NY and i'd be bow hunting. I think at 16 you can hunt alone legally, right?

NY DEC Site: http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Old 11-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question about hunting age and a few more things.

From the sounds of it you would have to ask the NY Game and Parks, or Dept. of Wildlife-which ever you have out there to find out the regulations. I understand where you are coming from-I deer hunted alone when I was 16-18. The safest way to hunt is with a partner-someone who knows where you are hunting, in case something bad happens-and when you have a big buck down, they also are there to help you dress and pack out your animal. Field dressing and packing out deer is still a chore for me and I've been hunting for 10 years. Do any of your friends hunt? share your sport!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:04 PM

Default RE: Question about hunting age and a few more things.

Yeah, I know it's safer with a partner but no one I know hunt's and honestly I wouldnt trust hunting with them if they did, lol. I mean the area isnt that bigand it isn't like goinginto thewoods with bears where you can get lost really eaisly.I think the whole area is 5k acres and onlysome of that is used for hunting. As for big bucks, there isn't to many of them on Long Island and my dad would help me when he came to pick me up.