Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Crazy things you have seen while hunting >

Crazy things you have seen while hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Crazy things you have seen while hunting

Old 12-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Crazy things you have seen while hunting

Should be a fun thread.

I was hunting Montgomery County, Maryland and a hot air balloon crash landed 40 yards behind me, it was crazy as hell. No one was hurt, they landed in a small field but the balloon was caught in the trees. They came inreally fast and the basket rolled over and spilled them all out. I went up to make sure they were okay, their team came up shortly after, needless to say that day of hunting was ruined, but it made for a good story. I mean seriously, a hot air balloon crash landing behind me??? And that area is littered with HUGE bucks, huge.

Same spot a day later, shotgun season for deer. I see what looks to be a doe coming out to me. I throw the scope on it and it's a doberman pinscher with a guy on a horse following behind it. Who let's their dog go out for a nice walk through the woods during firearms season? Especially in Montgomery County, it's like the 4th of July there during hunting season, it's actually a little scary.

2 years ago during Muzzleloader at Sleepy Creek WMA I watch 2 people from NJ walk through the woods banging frying pans and yelling. The thing that makes it so funny is they had no spotters, they were driving deer like that with no one else with them, LOL. I watched the whole thing play out and was hoping they would actually drive one to me but they didn't kick out any deer. Still funny though that they chose that method to drive deer (which isn't a way I would recommend) with no one out in front of them. [8D]

Last year a Sparrow hawk grabbed a squirrel out fo a tree 15 yards to my left. That squirrel was screaming bloody murder. I was going to try and get it on film, then I see a flash to my right and a really large 8 point was booking through the woods behind me. That distraction and lack of focus on my part cost me a great deer. So I go back there the next day, kind of chuckling to myself that I expect lightning to happen twice and sure enough, at about the same time as the day prior that hawk grabbed a squirrel about 35 yards in front of me. I was ready, but no 8 point ran out this time. It was very cool to watch though, a trophy in itself you could say.

Opening day, about 7:30 AM, and I see a guy walking through the woods. I get a little mad and think to myself, "What the hell is this guy doing walking around opening morning at prime time deer moving time?" Then I notice the guy is wearing Converse All Stars with holes in them. It was cold that year, probably like 15* that day,so I didn't blame the guy or feel anrgy anymore since he was obviously poor as hell and hunting some food.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Crazy things you have seen while hunting

seen a few squirrels bit the dust from the local hawks as well.

Had a screech owl land on my nocked arrow once.

I think this is definitely the most bizarre though. I was hunting on a warm day in a suburban area early in October in a when a couple (age about 18-20) came out into one of the backyards I was near. They hung out in the yard for awhile but eventually the girl led the guy into the woods to a spot about 60-70 yards from me. The next thing i know, she's kneeling in front of him.....I'll let you fill in the rest.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

seen a few squirrels bit the dust from the local hawks as well.

Had a screech owl land on my nocked arrow once.

I think this is definitely the most bizarre though. I was hunting on a warm day in a suburban area early in October in a when a couple (age about 18-20) came out into one of the backyards I was near. They hung out in the yard for awhile but eventually the girl led the guy into the woods to a spot about 60-70 yards from me. The next thing i know, she's kneeling in front of him.....I'll let you fill in the rest.
Haha, if your hunting is going to be interrupted, then that may be the best way for it to get interupted, lol.

I know one time a guy must have came into the hollow I was hunting without using a flashlight and then took his blaze orange off (if he ever had it on) because I took a crap in the woods, and when I was buttoning up my pants I suddenly noticed him about 60 yards to my left. That probably left him with a visual he didn't need. Nest time maybe he'll wear blaze orange. [8D]
Old 12-23-2007, 03:24 PM

i saw two canada geese flyin above my stand. nothin crazy right. then i hear a smack sound n major honkin so i looked up and i see feathers and two ducks free falling towards me. both laned prolly 25 yards from me, they got up n got back w/ the flock. the one flew sideways though .

other was my first time out hunting by myself from a stand. (i always sat on a log w/ my uncle before.) so im in my stand and a doe comes walking out. long story shot click the safety off and hear a crash. a squirrel fell out of the tree and jumped the doe

i saw a doe running full blast and seen her trip over a log and tumble.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

"2 years ago during Muzzleloader at Sleepy Creek WMA I watch 2 people from NJ walk through the woods banging frying pans and yelling. The thing that makes it so funny is they had no spotters, they were driving deer like that with no one else with them, LOL. I watched the whole thing play out and was hoping they would actually drive one to me but they didn't kick out any deer. Still funny though that they chose that method to drive deer (which isn't a way I would recommend) with no one out in front of them. [8D]"

I bet those were "antis" trying to screw up everyones hunting on the public land.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:14 PM

This season my i was filming my father hunt and we got on camera a mother bobcat and it young hunt down 2 squirrels wow there sneakie
Old 12-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

OK HERE IS A FEW.
MY DAD SAW A YOUNG COUPLE DO THERE THING ALSO, WHEN THEY WERE DONE THEY SPOTTED MY DAD 30 FT UP AND THE LADIE YELLED I HOPE YOU ENJOYED YOURSELF WITCH HE REPLY IT WAS ONLY 2 MINUTES I DONT THINK YOU ENJOYED THAT,

SEEN A HAWK TAKE OUT A SQUERIL

HAD A WOOD DUCK FLY 3 INCHES FROM MY FACE WHEN HUNTING THE MARSH ON EASTERN SHORE MADE ME SCREAM LIKE A GIRL, WAS 20 FT UP GETTING DARK AND ALL OF A SUDDEN FROM THE LEFT SWOOOSH ,,, AHHHH LIKE A GIRL I SCREAMED

I WAS HUNTING IN A BOW ONLY AREA IN CALTIMORE CO, AND WATCHED A POACHER CARRING A BLACKPOWDER COME THROUGH THE WOODS AND TRY TO CROSS A LOG AND FELL DEAD ON THE LOG WITH HIS CHEST ( HUHHHP ) HE GOT UP LOOKED AT HIS GUN THEN WENT BACK THE WAY HE CAME.

I WAS IN A TREE WATCHING SOME DOES COME UP THE HILL WHEN A BLACK VAN STOPED AND WAS WATCHING THEM HE LEFT AND RETURNED THIS TIME THE PASSENGER HAD A GUN BOOM , HE SHOT I SCREAMED HEY THEY PULLED OFF THE DOE WAS LESS THEN 50 YARDS AWAY FROM ME HE GUT SHOT HER.

ALSO MY DAD HAD A 5 FT BLACK SNAKE CRAW ON TO HIS PORTABLE DEER STAND RIGHT AT DAY BREAK , HE CAUGHT IT BUT SAID IT FREAKED HIM OUT WHEN HE SAW MOVEMENT BETWEEN HIS FEET

DR KILL
Old 12-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

I WAS FISHING AT NIGHT AND WAS THROWING TOP WATER AND HAD AND OWL TAKE MY DADS LURE , I HAD TO HOLD HIM DOWN WITH A SHIRT WHILE MY DAD REMOVE THE HOOK FROM HIS FOOT
Old 12-25-2007, 03:34 PM

I saw two people driving through the woods and got out and took a pee and the woman was on my side facing the road and the guy was on the other side of the car - where the traffic couldn't see him. What a nice guy.

I saw a hunter one day in a portable tree stand sitting / sleeping in front of me and I took his gun and put a stick in his hand. He was snoring pretty good.
I grunted like a deer and he grabbed his stick and tried to look though the scope and realized that it wasn't a gun at all.

Another time I saw a buck humping a doe and I shot him while he was still humping. My buddies all said that I should have waited until he was done first - out of common courtesy for the deer.

One of the Amish up the road, was hunting archery for deer and a turkey walked under his stand and he shot it out of season and when he got home he found out that it was one of his pet / tame turkeys.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:26 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

I saw a hunter one day in a portable tree stand sitting / sleeping in front of me and I took his gun and put a stick in his hand. He was snoring pretty good.
I grunted like a deer and he grabbed his stick and tried to look though the scope and realized that it wasn't a gun at all.

Another time I saw a buck humping a doe and I shot him while he was still humping. My buddies all said that I should have waited until he was done first - out of common courtesy for the deer.

One of the Amish up the road, was hunting archery for deer and a turkey walked under his stand and he shot it out of season and when he got home he found out that it was one of his pet / tame turkeys.
your such a liar!

Quick Reply: Crazy things you have seen while hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.