Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

getting a buck

Old 11-02-2005, 08:07 PM

Default getting a buck

ok guys i have nvr got a buck and just in case i do this year i want to make sure i know what i'm doing. what process do you go through if you get a buck that you want to get mounted. as in do you just chop the head of and take it to a taxidery or what.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: getting a buck

I assume you mean shoulder mount?Ifso don'tchop the head off as you'll either need to buy a cape or save a cape from another deer...so the only reason to do this is if his cape is messed up badly from a shot or something. When I cape a deer that is being shoulder mounted I basically end up with 2 pieces of hide. The first is the rear portion to behind the front shoulders and the second is the front portion that will be used in the shoulder mount. When I do the front portion, I skin up the back of the front legs and release from the leg/shoulder area, I then skin the top portion & around the neck. I want to take it as far down as possible without disturbing the cape. You then simply remove the head and hide portion for the mount. If you must cutthe hidetry doing it straight and up the back of the neck butthis shouldn't be required, just take your time and let the cape fall over his rack/head. You can now take it if you wish to a taxidermist and he will flesh the skull/face features and remove the skull cap/antlers. I would suggest doing this as fleshing (or removing the cape from the skull) is a bit tricky, especially around the eyes, ears and nose as this will be a focal point of your mount.

If your just wanting to do a skull cap mount on a plaque, skin normally and then with a saw cut straight down behind the anlters and another cutlaterally above the eyesmeeting your first cut. You can remove the hide portion, boil and clean off any remaining meat or tissue.

Hope it helps you some. Best of luck getting your 1st Buck.