Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Drop em where they stand!

Old 11-01-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Drop em where they stand!

When I see the TV shows and after the shot the deer crumbles to the ground where he stands. Where are the hitting them? ( bullet placement?)Can it be done with a 25-06 at a 100-150 yds?
Old 11-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Drop em where they stand!

deer can do some strange things , i shot one 2 weeks ago with teh 270 at about 50 yards , totally destroyed the left shoulder and both lungs , yet he ran off about 50 yards before crashing...

dropping them in the tracks is just a perfect shot placement , ofcourse it a bit easier to do with a 300 then with a smaller caliber just because the margin with the higher caliber get a bit higher, i'm not saying it can't be done with a smaller bullet, it just gives you less margin...

personally i shoot for the boiler room , if i'm not sure if i can hit it , and i don't want the deer to run to far after i hit him i will try to take out atleast one shoulder..
Old 11-01-2005, 08:35 PM

it can be done with a 25-06 as long as it is sighted in properly and it would help to know the anatomy of the deer to find the most productive shot and also just a little bit of luck
Old 11-01-2005, 08:36 PM

Ok I seen one show where he hit the deer 3 inches obove the sholder like if you line the vertical cross hair upwith the leg and the horizontal one 3 above sholder and the deer droped like a rock!
Old 11-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

My fastest kills have been with high velocity cartridges and rapid expanding bullets like the nolser ballistic tip.I dropped several large bodied deer on the spot by using the 100gr ballistic point out of my 257wby and many morewith the 140gr ballistic tip out of my 7mmstws.I use lung shots and not one deer has travelled 50 yards with most dropping on the spot or within a few yards.I have done the same thing with elk and moose using my 300ultramags.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:21 PM

all though I wouldn't recomend it, you can drop one like that with
a .223, 22-250 or a 25-06 for that matter if the shot is directed to the right area. The term "boiler maker" or "in the boiler maker" is commonly used for the type of results in which you speak. Imo,I think typically that all deer respond differntly to being shot, or it could be that the guys on the videos are shooting hi-powered rifles w/ hi-powered loads. I have harvested numerous deer that have gone down hard in their tracks andalso have taken deer that were smaller, but traveled 70-90 yards before expiring.When I take aim on a deer, my hold is approx. 6"-8" down form the back and 1"-2" behind the shoulder. For all the deer I have taken,
this area has worked for me everytime. About 35%-40% have been "right in the boiler maker."

Good luck and good hunting

Hook 'Em Horns
Old 11-01-2005, 09:27 PM

Btw, As far as 25-06's are concerend, I think they do the job just fine on
whitetail deer.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:32 PM

Ive killed a lot of Deer and not one has reacted the same. Some run a little ways, some fall in place, in fact the buck I shot last year jumped straight up in the air. I ve never seen anything like it! Any ways shot placement is key. You want to use a bullet that expands quickly. I wouldnt recomend solid copper bullets for deer hunting. I use a 150gr CT and it works great.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:37 PM

I took a doe a few years back and she reared up like Silver.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I read an article one time in a national magazine which was studying exactly this issue. They had a large group of animals that needed to be culled for some reason. They proceeded to shoot them all and had autopsies done on each animal. What they found was that each animal that had dropped or only gone a few yards shared one characteristic that the others (who had run a ways before going down) didn't have. Their brains showed major hemmoraging. They basically came to the conclusion that at the exact time the bullet strikes, if the heart is pumping blood out to the body, the shock of the bullet would cause an 'amplifying' affect so to speak, causing the hemmorage. If the heart expanding (drawing blood in) the effect wouldn't happen as severly, and without the major hemmorage the animals would be able to run off before expiring from their wounds. Purely speculation, but I found it quite interesting.

Quick Reply: Drop em where they stand!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.