Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
anyone successful in hunting scrapes and rubs? >

anyone successful in hunting scrapes and rubs?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

anyone successful in hunting scrapes and rubs?

Old 10-07-2002, 04:53 AM

Default anyone successful in hunting scrapes and rubs?

just curious if you have had any luck hunting them? i have always hunted them but the buck i have hunted seemed to be hiting them at night. i would put buck piss or doe piss near them and the buck would hit them every night.
but besides that i never had any luck hunting them.

Old 10-07-2002, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: anyone successful in hunting scrapes and rubs?

I have had some success on primary rublines, but had little success on scrapes. I too have noticed them hit at night by dominant deer. I like to set up according to the wind on these lines and scrapes, where it bottlenecks or ridges to a valley, meadow, etc. Most times I can't see the scrapes or rubs, but work an area that is on the line to them. You'll often find large bucks circling downwind of their scrapes, as such you may get busted if your right on top of them. I am not sure if your area will allow you to do this, but try it if possible. Make sure you have good doe traffic as well...rut and does = bucks.

Old 10-07-2002, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Use the Scrape Dripper so you can get em patterned to come out in the day time.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quilly, I have never shot a buck while over scrapes, but have as they have been enroute to them. Skeeter is right if you hunt right over them they'll come down wind and your busted dude. Hunt the peak of the rut all day long and then wait for them to mess up, and they will, good luck.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I agree with what has been said... Not on top but 100+ yards down the trail... This will get you closer to their bedding area as well and will give you better odds of seeing them in shooting light... Good Luck out there...
Old 10-12-2002, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

After researching deer scrapes for 7 years (101 scrapes in 200) I'd like to think I learned a little. The scrapes most likely to get hit during daylight are traditional scrapes (used year after year) that are in a daytime travel route (usually in a wooded/protected area) where the deer feel secure during daytlight hours, leading to a food source, and are used during the 1-2 weeks before peak breeding. To find out when peak breeding occurs in your area call your state deer biologist. To hunt these scrapes go back along a deer trail (preferably along a rub-route) and set up 40-100 yards from the scrape, in protected areas where you expect to see a buck moving during the day. I had a 6 piece article on Scrape Research and Hunting in NA Whitetail, I think it was in 2001.
Scrapes in open areas are usually used at night. If you have more questions on deer , elk, turkeys, ducks or geese, fire away, I'll try to answer.

T.R. Michels

T.R. Michels
Old 10-12-2002, 05:05 PM

busted an 8 point a few years back who was checking one my buddy had just put doe pee on. he also had it on his boots. the joke was if I hadnt busted him he would have raped my buddy....it was with a bow deep in the river bottoms in Arkansas. Never busted one on a scrape since. Heard you have a 10 day window on them....Good luck

Hey, size may not matter but it sure IS nice!
Old 10-12-2002, 11:03 PM
XTP

Most of the scrapes I have found have also been made by bucks at night.I have a particular rub line I found last year that I want to hunt this season.It is about a 150 yard long corridor between a small ridge and a dense poplar/birch tree grove.The path has pines growing in it,many of which were rubbed last year.Several of these trees were over 8 inches in diameter!At one end is a thicket that I'm sure is the buck's bedding area,the other end just opens up into the woods.I plan on setting up on the ridge and using the wind and cover/attractent scents,hopefully find the buck that lives there.This is one of those little spots nobody seems know is there...kinda way back in the woods.I'll let ya know what happens.....
Old 10-13-2002, 11:25 AM

i shot a 2 1/2 old 8 point in 2000 over a scape that was on the edge of a field at dusk. but that is the only one in 21 years of hunting. i was'nt hunting the scape i was hunting the field. i knew that 4 or 5 does came out every evening into the field and it was november 10. which was right about the rut in my area. i pulled the trigger as he had his nose up on that licking branch above the scape. as far as rub lines yeah' i've killed quite a few bucks on them. but one thing i have noticed is all bucks will rub the same trees so if you are hunting a particular buck you might see a different buck rubbing the trees your set up on.

jeff greene
Old 10-13-2002, 01:59 PM

I usually have good luck hunting over scrapes, if all else fails, make a mock scrape.